Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,591   Posts: 1,545,954   Online: 1262

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB: Developing Tanks & 4x5 Film Backs

I am trying to get started developing my own film. I shoot 35mm, 120, and I am just getting into 4x5. I am looking to buy daylight tanks for all 3. I don't need pretty, I just need functional.

Also, I just became the owner of a Grafelx 4x5 (hence the entry into LF) and I need some film backs. Fidelity type, double sided.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you buy a Universal developing tank which can do both 35mm and 120 roll film using spirals, then you can also use it for 4x5 processing using the Taco method (google it) quite successfully. Whilst most universal tanks will work with the Paterson Universal being the one most quoted I actually found that an older Jobo Tank worked the best as it was just that bit taller and didn't bend the film like the Paterson version does.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tryals15 View Post
    I am trying to get started developing my own film. I shoot 35mm, 120, and I am just getting into 4x5. I am looking to buy daylight tanks for all 3. I don't need pretty, I just need functional.

Also, I just became the owner of a Grafelx 4x5 (hence the entry into LF) and I need some film backs. Fidelity type, double sided.

I have quite a few extra tanks, can come up with steel tanks and reel for 35 mm and 120 very reasonably, send me an e-mail
    at Fyrwnrdy at Yahoo dot com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    modphotographic.co.uk makes a 4X5 film holder for the Paterson multi reel 3 tank. Watch his utube demo. Works fine and requires little agitation. Too much agitation may scratch your negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    modphotographic.co.uk makes a 4X5 film holder for the Paterson multi reel 3 tank. Watch his utube demo. Works fine and requires little agitation. Too much agitation may scratch your negatives.
    Trouble is, they are like Rocking Horse Poo at the moment.

As I understand it (from my waiting many weeks for one) Paterson will now be selling this and are just finalising their production. The original MOD54 was made of acrylic and if dropped was prone to shattering, Paterson have now done a deal to make and distribute this and it will be made in the future in a more robust plastic material.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to correct my previous post, Paterson apparently are not now making these items and you can buy one direct from Morgan (I just have) from his website www.mod54.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting. That's a cool system. £50 seems a bit steep to me though...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    Just to correct my previous post, Paterson apparently are not now making these items and you can buy one direct from Morgan (I just have) from his website www.mod54.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tryals15 View Post
    Interesting. That's a cool system. £50 seems a bit steep to me though...
    If that price is too steep you are going to be struggling, my sugestion then would be to go for a Paterson Universal and use the Taco Method as previously suggested, if you want to save more you can tray process the sheet film provided you have a totally dark darkroom but you would still need a daylight tank for your roll films.

Just as with camera equipment, darkroom kit can also be expensive initally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live on a teacher's budget -- I think most things are too expensive... lol.

I'm just trying to find the cheapest, workable solution. I think I may do tray processing for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    If that price is too steep you are going to be struggling, my sugestion then would be to go for a Paterson Universal and use the Taco Method as previously suggested, if you want to save more you can tray process the sheet film provided you have a totally dark darkroom but you would still need a daylight tank for your roll films.

Just as with camera equipment, darkroom kit can also be expensive initally.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have two Lots of Linhof 4x5 holders, 5 holders/lot, $90 for each lot.
    Also have Riteway 4x5 holders @ $7 each, and
    around 10 or 11 Agfa Ansco wood holders (nice) for $5 each.
    Plus shipping from Tacoma, WA
    --Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin