Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,011   Online: 861

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

WTB: Bronica C or S (S2) or maybe some sort of TLR?

Hi All,

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up and instead of getting her something digital related (she shoots a D5100), I was thinking I should get her something in the square format since she really like that format. That said, I was looking for something vintage-ish with a bit of style. I've been drawn towards the Bronica C and S models, although I don't know if I could afford at what most people are asking these days. The other idea would be a TLR, especially considering it'd remove the temptation of buying more lenses.

Maybe an Ikoflex? I used to own a C330 and found it too bulky for the traveling we do, so instead something more compact. I like Yaschicas fine, but they seem to have become so popular that the prices are a bit exaggerated. Other thoughts?

This is kinda a feeler thread looking for general ideas. Maybe $250 at most?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yashicamats on eBay right now at $180 Buy It Now, assuming it works, seems a decent deal. Also check out Rolleiflex T.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a nice little Yashicamat I'll let go of.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Bronicae that you mention are stylin' and, if working examples, can be fun. The model C might paradoxically cost more despite being (for lack of interchangeable backs) less flexible than the S/S2/S2a. I suspect there are fewer C units, so Bronica completionist collectors might bid those up. Numerous articles around the web will tell you of well-known problem areas on the S/S2/S2a of which to beware, so heed those. My S2 (sorry, not for sale ) required only minor focusing screen adjustment. Once you get the camera going, it can be fun, and a conversation starter, and beautiful, but frankly isn't the most practical shooter. It's more of a luxury for occasional, contemplative use than a high-volume daily user -- by which I mean no insult; that could be exactly what makes a good birthday present, especially if by chance your gf is someone who always chooses practical, proletarian things for herself.

BTW, what fun is life if you "remove the temptation of buying more lenses"?!?! Who wouldn't want more beautiful, chrome-nosed, heavy, old-school Nikkor glass?

--Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yaschicamat is tempting. I really wish I could find a Bronica C. By all means, I like having multiple lenses, BUT, I've learned with her in particular it's better to have a single lens since otherwise she'll be drooling over the next best toy or not using her composition to create stunning images. She does have quite the eye, and I got her a Nikon FE back for Valentines which she loves.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a S2A (in fact, I have several of them I must admit), and find it to be a very usable camera. The viewfinder is not the brightest, and it's heavy and noisy, but it is very nice to use both hand held and on a tripod. The automatically returning mirror is very handy when shooting hand held.

And of course, the lenses are great, both the Nikkors and Zenzanons. And it looks good too.

Trond

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh thanks Frond, just tease me here.

Rick has made me a solid offer as well as other users, cool stuff! She'll be very happy no matter, I feel.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a nice Yashica LM if you're interested. Cheap.

Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin