Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,519   Online: 1199

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Tacking Iron needed

Hi Folks,

Anyone have a good quality dry mount tacking iron (beinfang or the like) they'd like to part with for a fair price? I have some tacking to do. Obviously...

U.S. based, thanks!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Do people still use dry mounting tissue? Surely there are much better methods of mounting these days, like self adhesive foam board.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Do people still use dry mounting tissue? Surely there are much better methods of mounting these days, like self adhesive foam board.

I still use dry mount. I went to a art/graphic/framing store the other day and asked for some tissue. The lady looked at me like I just stepped off the ARK. I told her I still had my press and mounting stuff but I had run out of dry mount tissue. First, she told me they didn't have any. Then after looking through her stock book, she made an apology and said they did have some in stock. It came 5ft wide by xxxxxx. I bought 10ft at 60 cent a foot. You can't buy foam core for that, I don't think??

I guess it is out of date, but there isn't anything wrong with old school if you can get it. I haven't used foam core but I can imagine laying a photo on it and it might be out of alignment or buckled a little.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PM sent re: tacking iron
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    If you have a press, why wouldn't you use dry mounting tissue to mount a print on archival matt board? It's an extremely clean and flat way to mount prints.

I haven't heard of adhesive foam board. Is it archival? Does a print mounted on it look as good as a dry-mount on archival matt board?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    If you have a press, why wouldn't you use dry mounting tissue to mount a print on archival matt board? It's an extremely clean and flat way to mount prints.

I haven't heard of adhesive foam board. Is it archival? Does a print mounted on it look as good as a dry-mount on archival matt board?
    Yes.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Images
    I've never had good luck with adhesive foam board. No matter what I did, the photo eventually bubbled up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can use a clothes iron. To do so is far from elegant, but it works. You only need to tack a spot the size of a dime or so with the tip of the iron.
    Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to member RichardH, I was transported back to the old RC plane days - they sell irons that are pretty much the same, so problem solved! Thanks all for the great responses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, you can get tack irons for around 20 bucks at toy model stores like Hobbytown USA. http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...?ProdID=HAN101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin