Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,820   Online: 967

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

WTB: long lens for 4x5

Hi,

I am looking for some long lens (450-650mm range) for my 4x5 kit. I have horseman monorail and I am thinking about Sinar copal shutter so I am not very picky about shutter of the lens.

I am living in Czech Republic so EU residing lenses would have advantage of zero VAT and customs taxes.

Thanks for your offers.
    Last edited by koja; 10-05-2012 at 08:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Advice from John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi koja

you probably already know this, but just in case you over looked this ...
    with the symmar converted you will need more than 620 to have it focus at infinity ..
    don't forget the nodal points are farther out with the symmars than with a traditional lens.
    ( maybe it is its plasmat-type design? ) i have a 210-370 and don't have enough rail space on my toyo
    with it converted, luckily i have another camera with a longer bellows s t r e t c h and it works great.

good luck with your quest !
    john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks!!!

I probably SHOULD have known this but no... I forgot to check the extension for converted lens. I have an extensible horseman rail but according to Schneider paper the extension for infinity focusing should be 760mm... That's just too much.

I'm gonna put Symmar off the list.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    A lens that might be useful is a Nikkor 450M f9-f128 in a Copal 3. It has an image circle of 440mm @f22, but goes way beyond that at higher numbered f stops. It weighs 1.41 pounds or 640 grams. That is at least several pounds less than the lens you originally requested.

Though no longer made this is a very popular lens and thus widely available used but in good condition on eBay or the forums. If your interests grow beyond 4x5 this lens will be useful on several other formats. I have carried mine from 4x5 to 8x10 and 7x17. The diagonal on 8x10 is 313mm. The diagonal on 7x17 is 464mm, confirming my statement that the coverage grows significantly at f stops above f22. I usually shoot the lens at f45-64 on the 7x17 and am very happy with the negatives.

Good luck in your hunt.

John Powers

PS: If you are not already a member, you might want to join the Large Format Forum. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php. I have seen this lens offered there, but you need to be a member for 30 days before you can access the for sale section. "For Sale/Wanted" sub-forum, which is open only to those who have been members for 30 days or more.” The rules.
    Last edited by jp80874; 10-05-2012 at 01:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I see there is a Nikkor 450 M on the LF Forum now offered at $575. This is quite a bit lower than I paid, but lenses were higher priced then.

John P
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What... no love for the 450mm Fujinon-C? You'll lose an f-stop but it's in a Copal #1 and is tiny compared to the Nikkor-M.

Shooter
    Large Format
    How about a 19" or 24" Artar in barrel?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    I see there is a Nikkor 450 M on the LF Forum now offered at $575. This is quite a bit lower than I paid, but lenses were higher priced then.

John P
    Unfortunately seller of that lens is from US and I am in damn EU. It means 20% VAT... But thanks for the advice anyway!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    How about a 19" or 24" Artar in barrel?
    Well, after some research on sinar shutters I gave it up. Nikkor and Fujinon seem both as a very good option. I am scouting ebay (in EU) and trying to improve my budget.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, nobody in EU has some spare Fujinon, Nikkor, Apo-Ronar or smth. similar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin