Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,076   Online: 952

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

WTB: 5x7 film holders, reducing back.

5 or so film holders for 5x7. Cosmetics don't matter. Must be light tight, but I assume we all know that.

Also might as well put my unicorn out here: I'd also like a 5x7 to 4x5 reducing back for a Burke & James view camera. If you know of one available, or have one, I'd like to know about it and how much I'd have to twist your arm to get you to part with it. It would basically give me something to do with the 100-ish sheets of 4x5 I can't use now because some kids destroyed my Speed Graphic. Yes, I cried. Yes, I yelled. No, the parents don't actually know. *sigh*

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5x7view.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	58742
    Last edited by Stephanie Brim; 10-22-2012 at 02:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: To add crappy photo of said 5x7 for ease of identification.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speeds can survive a lot of abuse, what happened to it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    5 or so film holders for 5x7. Cosmetics don't matter. Must be light tight, but I assume we all know that.

Also might as well put my unicorn out here: I'd also like a 5x7 to 4x5 reducing back for a Burke & James view camera. If you know of one available, or have one, I'd like to know about it and how much I'd have to twist your arm to get you to part with it. It would basically give me something to do with the 100-ish sheets of 4x5 I can't use now because some kids destroyed my Speed Graphic. Yes, I cried. Yes, I yelled. No, the parents don't actually know. *sigh*

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5x7view.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	58742
    I have a lot of 5x7 holders, $10ea delivered, tell me how many and I will send em off.

Herb

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A 4x5 pinhole camera would be a cheaper option than a back. Just a thought.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Speeds can survive a lot of abuse, what happened to it?
    They can survive a lot of hard use, but not abuse. As a parent of triplet boys, I can easily imagine what they could do to a Speed -- there's glass, bellows material and all sorts of bendy metal parts that hands can 'play' with. And this does not even come close to what kids can do if they get the idea into their heads to want to destroy something. I kept my photo stuff in a different building altogether!

Stephanie -- sorry to hear about your camera.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    I think I got a 4x5 adapter for that---contact me with measurements and I'll check if what I have fits
    WOO HOO!

Lemme go get my tape measure...

8 and 3/8 inches square.

Just so you know, I checked Ebay and Igor and KEH and about everyone else who deals in used large format gear I could find, so...yeah.

...except the Large Format Photography forum. *headdesk*

If yours won't fit, I'll see if I can still login over there and ask the guys. If I can't find an original back, I'm going to build one.
    Last edited by Stephanie Brim; 10-22-2012 at 02:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rkmiec View Post
    A 4x5 pinhole camera would be a cheaper option than a back. Just a thought.
    I thought about pinhole and my daughter, who is turning 5, likes the idea. We'll be doing that, too, and I'll likely be fashioning a basic back to stick 4x5 film holders in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    They can survive a lot of hard use, but not abuse. As a parent of triplet boys, I can easily imagine what they could do to a Speed -- there's glass, bellows material and all sorts of bendy metal parts that hands can 'play' with. And this does not even come close to what kids can do if they get the idea into their heads to want to destroy something. I kept my photo stuff in a different building altogether!

Stephanie -- sorry to hear about your camera.
    The worst thing is that the kids who did this weren't mine. Heh.

I'll probably get another eventually, but I don't know.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If the Speed still has the back intact (no need for a GG -- just has to hold the film holder), you might be all set with what you got left of the Speed.

I think have a 4x5 back somewhere that came off a knock-off of a Deardorff Special -- if I can remember, I'll measure it tonight.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    If the Speed still has the back intact (no need for a GG -- just has to hold the film holder), you might be all set with what you got left of the Speed.

I think have a 4x5 back somewhere that came off a knock-off of a Deardorff Special -- if I can remember, I'll measure it tonight.

Vaughn
    The back is half there. The spring part is gone. I could fashion something with rubber bands, but I may as well make a pinhole if I'm going to do that. If I can get the shutter working, I'm going to restore the thing, starting with the cosmetics and ending with a replacement shutter. If I can't, I'm going to make it into a really interesting pinhole camera. The shutter nob works smoothly now that I've figured out how the kids ripped the thing, but the trip lever is frozen.

I started a thread over in the LF forum about it. I took the back off and started messing with the shutter.
    Last edited by Stephanie Brim; 10-22-2012 at 05:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin