Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,539   Online: 1009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    The Speed Graphic is a good investment, I think. I agree about the shutter. It's fun to be able to shoot barrel lenses, and most of the time they're quite a few hundred dollars cheaper...

The only issue I have with mine is that it's harder to find lens boards since it takes the ones with the rounded corners and the lip. They are NOT cheap on Ebay. SK Grimes can make them, though, I think?
    These lens boards are dirt cheap, I get new ones from Heavystar on ebay 3 for $39 give or take a few cents, and even shipped to the UK they are great value. I wouldn't touch Grimes, over priced and over hyped, there's other companies who will do the same cheaper and just as well.

I make my own boards for older Speed Graphics although I seem to have acquired a surplus.

In Europe I'd look for a cheap Cambo Cadet, I sold one recently as an outfit with a good lens for under 200 euros. But there's better Cambo's for very little more and I'd look at the ones you've been offer in this thread from the EU. Importing from the US could mean somewhere between 25-30% Import Duty & VAT on top.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a Graflex Speed or Crown Graphic as a first LF camera, and that's from someone who's been using them a lot. The movements are very limited and inadequate, I mainly used mine hand held where no tripods are permitted but now mainly use a Super Graphic instead, it has all the movements I normally need and is still light and robust.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 11-04-2012 at 06:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Overseas shipping is what's going to be the deal-breaker. I've got several Graphic View monorails I could sell with a lens board, lens, and a couple of film holders... all for US$150 per kit... but the shipping cost is way too high for bulky/heavy items.

Stephanie... Is your SG a 4x5? I have a stack of 70+ CG/SG metal lens boards for sale/trade.
    Yeah. I need one with a hole for an Ilex Universal #3...but the other I need custom drilled and a flange made. So Grimes may be the best option there.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stephanie... PM sent.

Nicholai... Are there no sources for used large format camera equipment closer to you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    150$ pr kit sounds reasonable, probably even including shipping! Would you mind checking costs for shipping?
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nicholai... USPS Priority Mail is US$87. Add US$5 for US$300 insurance coverage (covers your shipping cost too). If you want one of these please remember there's nothing fancy about the camera, holders or lens (135mm Optar). Everything is in good working order though.

I forgot to mention that this will come with a hard case. Shipping weight is approximately 25 pounds (11.5 kilograms) and it must ship as a "large package".
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 11-05-2012 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin