Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,053   Online: 928

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

WTB: 4x5 outfit for a beginner

Hi there!
    Looking to get into LF, and so i need a complete large format camera outfit. Preferably a view camera, but at least one with GG.
    Not looking for something grandiose, just an affordable setup.
    Send me offers! I reside in EU, but for the right setup i will be willing to pay shipping from the US.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    find yourself a nice Crown Graphic with a kodak Ektar or Graflex lens (same thing, different name) and you'll have a nice beginner's rig -- modest swings and tilts on the front standard, supreme quality, accurate rangefinder or ground glass option.. You can get this whole thing for less than 400 Euros. KEH camera brokers should have a nice selection. You can also get a Speed Graphic, same thing but the added bonus of a focal plane shutter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Here's a 4x5 outfit that might fit the bill

Cambo SC with Symmar-S 180mm.
    Also includes bag bellows and recessed lens board.
    And a bunch of film. The APX box is still sealed.
    And three film holders.
    Comes in a hefty wood case.

$500 + shipping for all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails csc8.jpg   csc7.jpg   csc6.jpg   csc5.jpg   csc3.jpg  

csc2.jpg   csc1.jpg   csc0.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an extra Cambo in Lund in Sweden if you're interested.
    Ordinary bellows and bag bellows. Lens etc depending on your needs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have an Cambo monorail with board and cloth for £180 and shipping. Condition as
    New
    Or £200 with a film holder
    Money transfer pref. but PayPal ok if you pay the fees
    Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've got a Speed Graphic with a focal plane shutter. It has one lens board, no handle, but with the focal plane shutter, you can buy cheaper barrel lenses and use them. I only need $120 for it. I was going to dismantle it and just use the focal plane shutter, but I'll never get around to it...

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Speed Graphic is a good investment, I think. I agree about the shutter. It's fun to be able to shoot barrel lenses, and most of the time they're quite a few hundred dollars cheaper...

The only issue I have with mine is that it's harder to find lens boards since it takes the ones with the rounded corners and the lip. They are NOT cheap on Ebay. SK Grimes can make them, though, I think?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    The Speed Graphic is a good investment, I think. I agree about the shutter. It's fun to be able to shoot barrel lenses, and most of the time they're quite a few hundred dollars cheaper...

The only issue I have with mine is that it's harder to find lens boards since it takes the ones with the rounded corners and the lip. They are NOT cheap on Ebay. SK Grimes can make them, though, I think?
    The one on my camera is square and seems to fit ok. With barrel lenses small enough for 4x5, you can mount them on black foam-filled poster board from WalMart for less than a dollar. I've heard people use pvc pipe, too, but don't know how that is done.

Might not be worth the postage to Denmark, though.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mine is the older model, so it has the ones that are annoying to find.

Right now I'm using cardboard and electrical tape. I spent $20 tops on this lens. Really don't want to spend the money to have the people at Grimes make the board and the flange unless I really like it. Heh.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Overseas shipping is what's going to be the deal-breaker. I've got several Graphic View monorails I could sell with a lens board, lens, and a couple of film holders... all for US$150 per kit... but the shipping cost is way too high for bulky/heavy items.

Stephanie... Is your SG a 4x5? I have a stack of 70+ CG/SG metal lens boards for sale/trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin