Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,268   Online: 815

Shooter
    Medium Format

WTB: Restored Kodak 2D or similar

I've been looking at too many beautiful wooden cameras online If anyone has a lovingly restored, great condition Kodak 2D (with tripod block and extension rail) and would sell it for a fair price (and yes, some of the Ebay prices seem rather inflated) please reach out. Or if you have something similar in a 4x5 or 5x7 wooden camera that folds up nicely. The camera would be actively used (along with my monorail camera) and would not sit on a shelf. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want a fair price, you may have to do the restoring yourself. You can get a camera with acceptable bellows and lens pretty cheaply if you look, but the ones that are fully restored tend to be *much* more because the work put into restoring the camera actually takes a lot of time.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Stephanie. I did not mean to imply that the restored cameras should not sell for a premium. It's just that a good amount of what I see in Ebay is both rather beat up and expensive. At least that goes for some of the 'buy it now' cameras. I would do the work myself.. but I'm not that handy when it comes to woodwork.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One of the great things about the wooden cameras is that they can look absolutely awful as long as the bellows are light tight, it has a good ground glass, and everything locks down tight and correctly. They're really resilient. I'm going to look for a 2D myself in six months or so to replace the Burke & James I have, but I won't bother restoring the wood. The old cameras tell a story and I kind of like the rougher-around-the-edges look.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This I did not know. I though that an awful looking wooden camera would imply that the camera would literally fall apart on the tripod! And yes, I love that the old cameras tell a story.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You should see my Burke and my Speed Graphic. They tell stories all right. Really, really loudly. Heh.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Takizawa View Post
    I've been looking at too many beautiful wooden cameras online If anyone has a lovingly restored, great condition Kodak 2D (with tripod block and extension rail) and would sell it for a fair price (and yes, some of the Ebay prices seem rather inflated) please reach out. Or if you have something similar in a 4x5 or 5x7 wooden camera that folds up nicely. The camera would be actively used (along with my monorail camera) and would not sit on a shelf. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
    I'm curious as to why you want to acquire a 2D vs another model. I have both a 5x7 2D project camera and a very sweet whole-plate Eastman #2 (lighter wood than the 2D - D is for "dark" - but otherwise identical I think). I've migrated towards the whole-plate format but still, that #2 is a fairly bulky beast.

Have you considered a wooden field camera like a Rochester Carleton, Deardorff, or Wisner, etc.? The latter two will cost more than a 2D but the ROC and 'dorff are much more lightweight/portable and I think, prettier.

Another one to consider is an Agfa Commercial View with a built-in sliding extension rail. You could probably find a nice example around the price you'd pay for a 2D. I think the Agfa is a workhorse but easier to lug around compared to the 2D.

Personally, I'd go for a 5x7. They are considerably smaller than an 8x10, but not much bigger than most 4x5s. And you can always get a reducing back for them if you desire the smaller format. My 5x7 Deardorff Special has been my go to camera for years.

Joe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Joe. You are right on point. I had only picked the 2D as an example that I had seen a few folks like online such as Ken Lee. 5x7 would likely have the best of both worlds - easier to lug around than a 8x10 and yet large enough for contact prints. I'll go in that direction. Deardorff would be ideal although I would need to save more. Now only if I can find a usable Rochester Carleton! In searching for these older cameras patience is a virtue.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Your location would be helpfull, as some sellers don't want to ship overseas. Also a restored camera could be very nice, but it is also possible to find an unrestored example in good condition. It just take patience. For example I just found a 8x10 2D in a local Craigslist ad in very good condition, complete with the matching extension rail, original bellows, and not one but two sliding tripod blocks. 15 blocks from my house no less, ok, yes there was some serious luck involved too.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would call that luck, yes. Heh. If you find another one, send it my way.

However, OP, you may want to take a look at 5x7 cameras on Ebay *RIGHT NOW*.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin