Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,052   Online: 1169

Thread: WTB 6x17 Camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB 6x17 Camera

I've been shooting a lot of widelux but would like to move up to a bigger format and something which can focus. I'm tempted to get an Xpan for the portability but also want much larger negatives to work with. I'd like to find a relatively affordable 6x17 camera. I don't need a lens since I have several already but if you're selling something with a lens I'd consider it. I looked at the old modified torpedo cameras but think they're too bulky for me.

My budget is under 1k lower the better

Thanks for any suggestions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Take a look at my APUG listing here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...ml#post1409275

It's a 6x12, but a great camera.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    ecbuyonline2008 on eBay has new Gaesori's for just a bit more than your $1k limit.

3C-Store has the Da-Yi 617 Shift II for about the same. I have one of the latter cameras, and can tell you that it's a really good camera! I started with a 90mm cone on it, but now mount a 72mm on it. A little heavy compared to my Xpan, but a great camera to travel with. I like the twin film pressure plates in the holder; keeps the film nice and flat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a DaYi 6x17 back for a 4x5 camera. I paid $500 for it a few years ago. I'll sell it for the same, and throw in the PayPal and shipping fees. Still in excellent condition. Works well with lenses up to 180mm. You will of course need a 4x5 camera with a universal back (graflok). The nice thing about using the back over a dedicated camera is you can use movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still looking. I think I'd prefer a point and shoot like the Fuji G617 which works better with my run and gun style of shooting. Anyone?

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    Still looking. I think I'd prefer a point and shoot like the Fuji G617 which works better with my run and gun style of shooting. Anyone?
    Can you explain how the G617 differs from, say, the Gaoersi in terms of being able to "...run and gun..."?

They're both point'n'shoot, non-metered, non-linked range finders. Do you mean its lever advance? If so, having used both extensively (well, the DaYi v the G617), there is little difference in time needed to advance the film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a G617 that has a broken shutter and a small scratch on the inside of the lens (you should be able to move the scratch to the unused part of the lens). $700 and it's yours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about the other chinese camera which has the bellows and focusing screen which seems a bit clunky. The Gaorsi actually looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Can you explain how the G617 differs from, say, the Gaoersi in terms of being able to "...run and gun..."?

They're both point'n'shoot, non-metered, non-linked range finders. Do you mean its lever advance? If so, having used both extensively (well, the DaYi v the G617), there is little difference in time needed to advance the film.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about the other chinese camera which has the bellows and focusing screen which seems a bit clunky. The Gaorsi actually looks pretty good.
    Having shot with Technoramas, Fuji 617s and Gaesori/DaYi's, the latter strike me as the most rugged. Obviously, they don't have the finesse of a Linhof; however, I have never seen a shot taken by finesse.

If you're thinking of using this style of camera for a rough'n'rugged style of shooting, it is my belief that the Gaerosi/DaYi would take more punishment than the Linhof and Fuji's.

FWIW, I think that the Fotoman cameras fit into the middle of these styles of cameras, about on par with the Fuji's for build quality and strength/ruggedness.

Also FWIW, I have never regretted buying a cheaper body and more expensive glass to put on it. YMMV.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a Gaoersi for a little bit, kind of regret selling it now. They feel like they were built by a blacksmith more than a camera company, but what you get for your money is actually very impressive. Image quality will of course depend on the lens you put on it, and I do wonder about film flatness, but it's probably fine.

I now have a Fotoman 69, which is more graceful affair, although the actual Fotoman bit is only a bit of metal and a focusing cone, the rest of it is Horseman for backs, Schneider for the lens, Copal for the shutter, Leica for the finder. I would not hesitate to buy another Fotoman though, the dMini looks lovely.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin