Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,312   Online: 890

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

WTB 100 grams of Ferric Citrate

I am trying to find and buy about 100 grams of Ferric Citrate within overnight shipping distance of Cleveland, OH USA.

On page 221 of Christopher James’, “Alternative Photographic Processes”, 2nd edition, James suggests substituting Ferric Citrate in equal parts for the standard Ferric Ammonium Citrate in part A to increase contrast.

It is not offered on either Bostick & Sullivan or Photographer’s Formulary websites. It does appear to be offered in vitamin capsules of 25 milligrams (fun to tear apart and accumulate 100 grams) or at huge chemical companies (in kilos) if I submit a request for quotation. What I need to figure out is how and where to buy about 100 grams of Ferric Citrate and get it here in a short period of time.

Thank you,

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Re: WTB 100 grams of Ferric Citrate

call city chemical in west haven connecticut....my supplier for chems ....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the help. After talking with Bostick & Sullivan we are going to try ammonium dichromate or potassium dichromate (see pages 222 and 223 in C. James). We have both dichromates in our classroom inventory. If that fails to get to reasonable contrast I will be the happy new owner of 250 grams of ferric citrate from http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/...g=en&region=US.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had good luck with buying odd chemicals on ebay. I notice there is someone selling 150g of Fe Citrate for $20, shipping included.

Ooops - just noticed it would be coming from Tallinn, Estonia.

There are some other sellers with NOS - at prices higher than Sigma's....
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 11-20-2012 at 03:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Nick.
    I also posted on the LF Forum. Benrains from Bloomington, IN recommended chemsavers.com. That is the $32 one on eBay. That may be my best bet

Sandy King posted that the dichromate solution is a myth and not to waste my time.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    ... chemsavers.com. That is the $32 one on eBay.
    That's probably the best choice. But they aren't offering much of a discount over Sigma's $42. The bottle in the picture seems to show a date of "6/79" written on the label. The stuff is slightly volatile (well, it would have to be to react to light) - but if the bottle is kept sealed, as it appears to be, then it should be OK. Heck, I'd shoot film dated '79 - it wasn't very long ago ...

Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Sandy King posted that the dichromate solution is a myth and not to waste my time.
    One of the rare times I agree with Mr. King: I never got much joy from dicromate - only grief. It does alter the chemistry, but it doesn't really do anything of note except to lower DMax.

If you are tempted to try the dichromate then add it just before coating. It seems to precipitate something if added too early. I have one bottle of Vandyke 'emulsion' that has plated out silver to the inside of the bottle - a brown bottle, kept in a closed cupboard in a very dark room.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 11-20-2012 at 09:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin