Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,035   Online: 874

Shooter
    Medium Format

WTB: CAMBO Legend 8x10 lens standard

hello, I am in the process of modifying my 8x10 Cambo Legend and want to add a 8x10 standard in front to replace the small 4x5 sized front standard and the tapered bellows that come with the 8x10 Legend. I'd like to have a 8x10 standard at each end. I can have a 8x10 non-tapered bellows made.
    regards, bogdan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    bump

zem

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just curious as to why you would do this? Adding weight, custom bellows, custom massive lensboards.. what's the advantage ? I have a legend 8x10 and the rig is 15kg as it is.. another rear standard would be crazy !!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zem View Post
    Just curious as to why you would do this? Adding weight, custom bellows, custom massive lensboards.. what's the advantage ? I have a legend 8x10 and the rig is 15kg as it is.. another rear standard would be crazy !!
    hello zem,

To answer your questions...

1. Weight is not a concern since I'm using the 8x10 Cambo as a studio camera. If I want to shoot outside, I have my trusty 8x10 Deardorff.
    2. I do a lot of macro photography indoors and often need a 6x (or more) bellows extension for my shot depending on the lens I am using.
    3. With my 8x10 Cambo, I have a rail extension piece that gives me 42inches of rail and I put a 5 inch lens cone lens holder from a omega D-5 enlarger on a Cambo 4x5 lens holder on which I mount an Ilex#5 shutter and mount 300mm+ lenses on the front of the cone for a total extension of of 47inches. To get the the full extension, which the present bellows on the 8x10 does not permit, I attach a 30in bellows from my 4x5 Cambo to the front of the tapered end of the 8x10 bellows. Unfortunately, there is a point beyond which I start getting vignetting because of the sized limitation of the 4x5 bellows.
    4. I found out I could have a square bellows made, 30 inches long, that does not taper and would attach to the 8x10 standard, , 30 in apart, front and back and then I could add the tapered bellows in front in combination with a 4x5 bellows and would not get the vignetting I get now. So basically, I want a light chamber that is 30 in long and fits 8x10 lens standards at each end.

So, basically, I'm trying to work around a problem of vignetting when I do macro and have 6x or more bellows extension. If there are alternate solutions to the problem, I'd like to hear them.

Anyway, I hope I have managed to clear up the motivation behind my choice.

Regards, Bogdan

zem

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ahhh, I see. I've never contemplated doing macro on the 8x10, but good luck !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    it's a lot easier (and uglier) to make a temporary bellows extension using a rigid blacked out cardboard box. Attach the 10x10 box to the rear standard on one end (tape does work fine) and the 8x10 end of the bellows on the other....you get a huge 10x10 or larger bellow extension for very little cost that way. also way less weight and very cheap...you can do this today and be working without having bellows made, etc...extra expense.
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I was trying to think of something along those lines but couldn't quite figure out how to get a rigid box (Rigid bellows) in with the tapered 8x10 bellows that I already have.

If I understand your explanation correctly, the back of the box is attached to the front of the rear standard and the 8x10 back of the old bellows is attached/taped to the front of the rigid box?? This sounds like it can be done with duct tape. Basically , I would be inserting a rigid 10x10 box between the rear standard and the back to the bellows.

You can contact me at < bkarasek@videotron.ca > so as not to take up bandwidth from APUG.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    BUMP

Shooter
    Large Format
    Or get a second 8x10 back standard and a square bellows of whatever length and leave the front alone. Save on huge lens boards. Front focus with the regular bellows and rear focus with the square bellows and even them out around the middle standard for no bellows sag.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bogdan, check your personal messages...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin