Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,970   Online: 957

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    I've got a similar 120 Osaka wide field. Maybe I'm lucky but the one I bought works fine as a light 5x7 wide angle. Multicoated and modern copal shutter. I paid about $220 for mine years ago when prices were higher.
    That's good to hear. Fingers crossed I come upon a good copy. Best, Angus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm... I didn't know these are still available new... CONGO LENSES

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you change your mind regarding trial of a coated 90mm f/6.8 Angulon then let me know. I have a very nice example in Synchro-Compur-P ca. 1953 I can sell for a good price.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Hmm... I didn't know these are still available new... CONGO LENSES
    Thank you for the link but at $516 it's a crazy price for this kind of a lens! Much better off looking for a second hand one!

Best, Angus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just tossing it out there.

The Yamasaki 90's seem to have a similar track record to the old Angulon 90's. Sure you don't want to give the latter a try?

Another option is the old tiny 88mm B&L Wide-Angle. It's a double-gauss similar to the Wide-Field Ektar. I have one that's lightly coated. Being only four air-glass surfaces single coating works well.

Neither of these will preform like your excellent 90mm Nikkor-SW but this is a trade-off for size/weight/cost.
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 01-14-2013 at 03:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB: Congo WA 90mm f6.3

How about 90/8 Fujinons?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    How about 90/8 Fujinons?
    Thanks for the comment. Actually, I'm looking for a lightweight wide lens for backpacking - already have the Nikon SW 90/8 which is similar to the Fujinon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Found a 90mm Congo that has just NOT sold for 100 USD.
    From the overall looking it's a single-coated example.
    Do a search on Ebay for completed sale, with "Prinz 576" keywords.
    Branded Prinz, i.e. USA imported Congo.
    Nice Seiko shutter. The seller report the condition as practically new.
    I am a large format lens collector, and i own many of the lenses mentioned in this thread. If you want my personal opinion, here it is:
    1) I would buy a Congo MC over ANY Angulon.
    2) Single-coated vs. single-coated, i'd buy a Congo, IF the Angulon is not a late example.
    3) Early non-coated Angulons have a larger coverage, not just because of a different notion of acceptable IQ at the borders, but only due to a design revision in post-war models.
    4) For a few different reasons, Angulons made during the fourties/fifties have a much larger amount of duds than later examples. I have a few Angulons with a very late serial, which are impeccable (11 millions or 10 millions serial, i don't remember). I won't go in depth here, but the later the serial, the safer you go.
    5) Kodak Ektars HAD a very good QC, compared with lenses of the same vintage (including Zeiss!). You can't reasonably think that the same applies to lenses manufactured from late seventies/early eighties onward! While it's true that some highly regarded lenses were still glued by hand with Canada balsam in the early seventies... it is also true that at the same time a basic aligning tool was becoming available at affordable prices (even for a small company!).
    6) For those based in the USA (no expensive shipment, no VAT), one of the Wollensak wides made for Graphic cameras could be worth a try. Quality wise, a 108mm f/12.5 would be preferable, but it's 2 stops slower than the 90mm f/6.3
    Getting back from digital to LF (mostly 5x7" and 8x10")
    selling Linhof Technika III 4x5" (fifth version, graflock back), Mamiya Press outfit + lenses, plus many LF lenses
    trading for soft focus lenses with 8x10" coverage - EU users preferred
    Photographica Flickr sets
    For sale

Shooter
    Large Format

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by cyberjunkie View Post
    Found a 90mm Congo that has just NOT sold for 100 USD.
    From the overall looking it's a single-coated example.
    Do a search on Ebay for completed sale, with "Prinz 576" keywords.
    Branded Prinz, i.e. USA imported Congo.
    Nice Seiko shutter. The seller report the condition as practically new.
    I am a large format lens collector, and i own many of the lenses mentioned in this thread. If you want my personal opinion, here it is:
    1) I would buy a Congo MC over ANY Angulon.
    2) Single-coated vs. single-coated, i'd buy a Congo, IF the Angulon is not a late example.
    3) Early non-coated Angulons have a larger coverage, not just because of a different notion of acceptable IQ at the borders, but only due to a design revision in post-war models.
    4) For a few different reasons, Angulons made during the fourties/fifties have a much larger amount of duds than later examples. I have a few Angulons with a very late serial, which are impeccable (11 millions or 10 millions serial, i don't remember). I won't go in depth here, but the later the serial, the safer you go.
    5) Kodak Ektars HAD a very good QC, compared with lenses of the same vintage (including Zeiss!). You can't reasonably think that the same applies to lenses manufactured from late seventies/early eighties onward! While it's true that some highly regarded lenses were still glued by hand with Canada balsam in the early seventies... it is also true that at the same time a basic aligning tool was becoming available at affordable prices (even for a small company!).
    6) For those based in the USA (no expensive shipment, no VAT), one of the Wollensak wides made for Graphic cameras could be worth a try. Quality wise, a 108mm f/12.5 would be preferable, but it's 2 stops slower than the 90mm f/6.3
    Great advice. Thank you. I'm definitely on the lookout for Congo MC. Late angluons intrigue but coverage on 4x5 is too limited from what I can gather. So that primarily leaves the Ektar. So for them which years are best for the 100/6.3? Thanks for your help. Best Angus

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re: WTB: Congo WA 90mm f6.3

Sorry Angus, even if you asked about the best vintage of a nice italian wine, i'd be at loss as well
    When i write that the age of a lens counts (and sometimes could even make a great deal of difference), i mean decades, not years!
    Some lenses were made during a long span of time, the name was the same, and no variations of the manufacturing was disclosed, but it's known that the cement was changed, and the coating process improved.
    Later on, some types of optical glass were discontinued, so the companies had to quietly replace them with new versions, and of course the elements had to be recalculated.

I have very little knowledge about USA-made lenses, and the very few notions i have are easy to find with a simple search.
    Nevertheless, you can't go wrong choosing a later Ektar vs an older one.
    The CAMEROSITY code will let you know the year of production.
    If you really want a multicoated 90mm, which is light and small, and of course second-hand and conveniently priced, definitely you better be patient.
    Other tha a late Congo/Osaka/Prinz, there could be a Topcor/Horseman (MC?), and there are the Geronar/Caltar wides (90mm f/6.8 IIRC), but not sure if they are MC.
    Better check with Google.

Sent from my Android tablet
    Last edited by cyberjunkie; 01-20-2013 at 04:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Getting back from digital to LF (mostly 5x7" and 8x10")
    selling Linhof Technika III 4x5" (fifth version, graflock back), Mamiya Press outfit + lenses, plus many LF lenses
    trading for soft focus lenses with 8x10" coverage - EU users preferred
    Photographica Flickr sets
    For sale

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin