Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,660   Online: 819

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

WTB: Congo WA 90mm f6.3

Near mint condition. Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I strongly suspect you've done your homework regarding compact lenses but I'll ask anyway. Have you considered the tiny 90mm f/6.8 W.A. Optar or the venerable 100mm Wide-Field Ektar?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the ideas. Optar seems to be pretty old and soft from test results I have read. Have considered the Ektar but it's not MC and has a weird filter size. The Congos are new but seem to have variable quality but I think it's worth the gamble to get a modern MC lens in a copal shutter.....this will be my lightweight alternative to the Nikon SW 90/8 so not rushing to find one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm... I'm considering selling a very nice 90mm f/8 Nikkor but it depends on what I decide to do with another film format. My current 4x5 kit consists of 38, 58, 90, 135, 203, etc. The 90 Nikkor is the cream-of-the-crop regarding size/weight/performance/coverage. The 200-M was part of the same decision process. Are you open to a 90 f/8 Nikkor? I might be persuaded in parting with it if I veer off in another direction. I really need the cash.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Angus,
    I own a Congo 90mm, an Angulon 90mm and a wide field Ektar 100mm. These lenses are coated, not multicoated. And the WF Ektar is far more better than the Congo, easier to find used and less expensive. And the image circle of the WF Ektar is greater than the Congo. The Angulon is today outrageously expensive and the image circle is OK for 6x9 but not for 4'x5'.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Already have the Nikon 90/8. It's great but heavy. Perhaps the Ektar is worth another look ....Thanks Phil for the input.
    Last edited by angusparkengusparker; 01-12-2013 at 10:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re: WTB: Congo WA 90mm f6.3

Yamasaki/Congo is active since quite a long time.
    Older than some other well established japanese brands.
    I have seen uncoated lenses, single coated, and also multicoated (like a 500mm tele that recently sold on Ebay.de for very good money).
    I guess that all modern lenses are multicoated. If i had to place my bet, i'd say from at least the mid eighties.
    The 90mm is more or less a knockoff of the Wide Field Ektar, so i don't expect that there would be a huge difference between them.
    Even their tessars are said to be very close to the Kodaks. Many people think that the reincarnation of the Commercial Ektar was the Ilex Paragon/Caltar, and that when Ilex ceased the production, the f/6.3 Congo was very close to being the twin sister.
    Between the Congo and the WF Ektar, i'd go for the latter, because i'm more a collector type, but if i had to choose a backpacker's lens, light and dependable, i would never choose a lens with soft single-coating, and with a big, old, clunky shutter!

BTW, i have recently seen a 90mm Congo on Ebay, for just $100.
    Search completed auctions, maybe it didn't sell.

P.S.
    With some luck, it is possible to find other double gauss wide angles (Leitmeyr and Meyer Aristostigmat), in a rather modern shutter. Only single-coated, though.

Sent from my Android tablet
    Getting back from digital to LF (mostly 5x7" and 8x10")
    selling Linhof Technika III 4x5" (fifth version, graflock back), Mamiya Press outfit + lenses, plus many LF lenses
    trading for soft focus lenses with 8x10" coverage - EU users preferred
    Photographica Flickr sets
    For sale

Shooter
    Large Format
    Seems like the Congos have questionable quality control while the Ektars are uniformly good. Think I'll leave the decision up to what I find first!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From all I've read the Comgo is indeed a gamble just as the old non-Super Angulons are. You could buy and sell until you find the gem(s) you seek. I'm too lazy for that though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a similar 120 Osaka wide field. Maybe I'm lucky but the one I bought works fine as a light 5x7 wide angle. Multicoated and modern copal shutter. I paid about $220 for mine years ago when prices were higher.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin