Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,029   Online: 733

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

WTB 8x10 film holders

I'm looking to buy as many 8x10 film holders as I can for $120, hoping for around 4 good ones, but maybe i'm dreaming. I do need them to be the same type as the Fidelity / Lisco type film holders, as they are slightly longer than the old Kodak types and these shorter ones do not fit my camera well.

Thanks!
    Last edited by EASmithV; 01-24-2013 at 09:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have some wooden holders, would those work for you?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ebay's had some good deals lately. I just bought twenty-two 8x10 holders for US$200 shipped. They're supposed to all be good but... we'll see when they get here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have some wooden Kodak ones and a wooden Fidelity, but since my back was built around the Fidelity, it does not fit the Kodak holders correctly... The Fidelity ones are slightly longer and give a bitter gripping edge when they are inserted in the camera. Are the wooden ones the same sizes as a Fidelity?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pretty much any standard 8x10 holder should work well in any 8x10 camera with a standard 8x10 back. There's no reason wooden holders won't work just as well unless they're damaged. This may be my ignorance showing but I don't understand why your wooden holders don't fit your back unless it was built to non-standard specs.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I have some wooden Kodak ones and a wooden Fidelity, but since my back was built around the Fidelity, it does not fit the Kodak holders correctly... The Fidelity ones are slightly longer and give a bitter gripping edge when they are inserted in the camera. Are the wooden ones the same sizes as a Fidelity?
    I will check this evening.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Pretty much any standard 8x10 holder should work well in any 8x10 camera with a standard 8x10 back. There's no reason wooden holders won't work just as well unless they're damaged. This may be my ignorance showing but I don't understand why your wooden holders don't fit your back unless it was built to non-standard specs.
    My back is not QUITE standard, as it is partially home-made. the part that sticks out of the camera on the fidelity holders is slightly larger, but this makes them significantly easier to seat properly and extract. While the other holders DO work, they are less convenient to use. I may get some though anyway if i have to, because i'm down to 3 holders and it's really not quite enough for what I'm doing. The below photos show a little bit of my difficulty... my back has a side which sticks out and covers up much of the part of the holder making it more difficult to extract.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (1).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	63147 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	63148
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is is feasible for you to trim your back to common specs? Wooden holders don't have static electricity issues like plastic ones can have and they're not as modern-looking but I'm not trying to impress anyone. I got mine for $9 each shipped. I can't find plastic ones for less than $30 each and those are so cosmetically worn that appearance is no longer an issue vs. wooden ones. I can't find really nice modern plastic 8x10 holders for less than about $50 each. Of course, your choice hinges on how important price is to you. If price was of small concern to me I'd just buy the best and be happy that I could do so.

There are longer wooden holders, BTW, that are the same length as longer plastic ones. Fidelity with metal tops come to mind.
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 01-26-2013 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm a little hesitant to fix what ain't broke. Fidelity with metal tops are ideal. The longer holder shown in that photo is exactly that.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just put out a few wild bids on the bay, we'll see what happens...
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin