Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,347   Online: 866

Shooter
    Medium Format

WTB Paterson Super System 4 tank(s)

I'm looking for a Paterson tank or two to use for the "taco method" of developing 4x5 film.

Apparently I need the "universal" short tank that accepts 35, 120 and 126 film.

I don't necessarily need the reel, but I do need the spindle that makes the whole unit light-tight.

Thanks!

-- Andy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There's nothing magical about the Paterson tank....any tank that is "big enough" (ie taller inside than 4 inches) and light tight will work. Most (all?) tanks that are designed to process two rolls of 35mm at once will work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've heard that, but my experiment with a Nikkor 2-reel tank didn't work so well -- the 4 "tacos" shifted/slipped in the hairbands during agitation and the film corners scratched the emulsion.

My hope is that the Paterson central post will hold the tacos in position better.

This was with Freestyle's Arista 100, which I think is Foma? Maybe it's just a really soft emulsion, but ...

-- Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Andy,
    If your film is moving in the tank, it's an indication your agitation is too violent. Film should be stirred not shaken( as James Bond specified for his martini). When you agitate, the objective is simply to move away the small quantity of developer that's been in contact with the film for the previous 30 or 60 seconds, to replace with fresh stuff. Handle that tank as if it were a breast - not a cocktail shaker.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wait right there while I go find someone to practice with ...

I think too that the volume of developer has a lot of leverage, for lack of a better term, over these four relatively large sheets of film that aren't very well secured in this method.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is what I do. You need to be careful not to agitate too much. Watch the video. http://www.mod54.com/about.php

Bill Barber

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd seen that gadget, and it looks very useful. Particularly as it would hold a whole magazine's worth from a Grafmatic.

But I'll tread this path a bit farther to see where it leads.

Thanks, all!

-- Andy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin