Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,940   Online: 1187

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

WTB: Marshalls Oil Colors

I just received a set of these that I purchased off of ebay, and although they were still sealed, it appears the oil leaked out through the seems in the back, which wasn't mentioned Bummer! I'm hoping someone out there may have some that aren't dried up that they lost interest in and would be willing to sell? Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey Pipyr. I have a full set that's never been used. No leakage, I promise! It's the 15 color "hobby" set. How's $30 shipped sound?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey there! If Pipyr doesn't go for that, I will.
    -Cody

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not unusual for the tubes to leak a bit (especially with older tubes). As long as they're still pliable, the paint is fine. If the paint is a little thicker than you want, add a little extender.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Russ, I sent you a PM Thanks! Eddie, The tubes are so hard one broke in half when I was hoping I could squeeze a little bit from the middle somehow. Not a chance, lol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use regular oil paints for handcoloring. There's nothing really that special about the marshalls though they are supposedly more 'intense' (e.g. less filler? )

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, everyone! I have a set coming to me! Ed, that is good to know, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Ed said, any oils will work, but you want to get good quality ones. You're applying the oils so thinly that good pigments are important. Winsor-Newton & Holbein oils work well. Sometimes a little Extender, or Linseed Oil, helps to thin them. If you live near an art supply store, you'll often find good sales prices on oil paints. The hand-colored work I've posted in the Gallery are a combination of Marshall's, W-N, Holbein, and other quality paints.
    Can't wait to see you post some...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another tip re: handcoloring is doing multiple layers. If you can't get the intensity you want of the colors using regular oils, you can let the print dry for a while, then do a 2nd layer of color over the first. It will add to the intensity of the color. I did a whole series of handcolored prints back in the early 90s, and may get back into it again sometime. Probably not that many people doing it anymore, these days.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the tips! I played around with the holbein oils I have on some RC prints. It will definitely require a few layers, but it seems like the results will be nice Made my first FB prints today so hopefully I'll be messing around with the Marshalls oils on some FB prints by early next week! This week's project has turned into Bromoil prints and I also have easylith and bleach on the way, lol. Nothing like taking it one thing at a time, huh? Anyway, thanks again; I'll post the results once I have stuff to show!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin