Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,171   Online: 1233

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

WTB a part for a Leitz Valoy or Focomat 1C enlarger

Leitz' codename is NEWOO and the catalog nr is 17665.

It goes on the condensor (that presses on the negative) and is against Newton rings. I got a beautiful Leitz Valoy and want to use it . . . any ideas?

Thanks !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valoy or Focomat 1C part.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This picture is part no. 17665 but that is not the part you need if newton rings are your problem. There is an antinewton ring "filter" that goes over the condensor, which holds the film flat. I own the Valoy II, which uses this same setup. Later Valoy IIs actually used an ANR condensor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the leica manual has a pattern for a shim you can cut out of sheet film that goes over the negative and raises the condenser just a smidgen and prevents newton rings.

or, you can guy an anti-newton ring filter, call E. Leitz in New Jersey, they may still have one in stock. I bought a new power cord for a IC a while back.

But the self-made shim works well -- you cut out a piece of film big enough to cover the negative, punch a couple of holes for those pins and a piece the size of the negative. As I said, if you can locate a Leica Manual from the 50s or thereabouts you can find the pattern, but a moment's pondering of your rig will show you the way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks ! I think you mean the anti newton glass that the Focomats 1C usually have installed. I have this an glass (with the black metal ring around it, it slides onto the condensor) and tried it on the Valoy II. It fits the condensor, but I had the feeling it is too thick: the head does not come down all the way. I will try again tomorrow . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    My first reply was to pstake. Thanks Summicron - yes, this is exactly what I will do. I will first cut one from not too thick carton, just to make an example . . .

I am still hoping to find the original, I love their parts of back then . . .

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    This picture is part no. 17665 but that is not the part you need if newton rings are your problem. There is an antinewton ring "filter" that goes over the condensor, which holds the film flat. I own the Valoy II, which uses this same setup. Later Valoy IIs actually used an ANR condensor.
    Leica offered two aids to conquer Newton-rings:

-) NEWOO (a metal plate acting as distance holder, shown in the photo above)

-) NESOO (a glass plate with micro-roughened surface)

Shooter
    35mm
    I have manuals for the 1C, not the Valoy. And it is the first time I hear about this "shim". Anyone who has such a manual and could scan the page?

Anyway, I also think you are right that it won't be difficult to fabricate . . .

I also have the Valoy II with the AN condensor, this works fine. However, I like to have the use of both systems.

Beautiful enlarger btw !!

Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    the leica manual has a pattern for a shim you can cut out of sheet film that goes over the negative and raises the condenser just a smidgen and prevents newton rings.

or, you can guy an anti-newton ring filter, call E. Leitz in New Jersey, they may still have one in stock. I bought a new power cord for a IC a while back.

But the self-made shim works well -- you cut out a piece of film big enough to cover the negative, punch a couple of holes for those pins and a piece the size of the negative. As I said, if you can locate a Leica Manual from the 50s or thereabouts you can find the pattern, but a moment's pondering of your rig will show you the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Valoy II manual in English as a digital file. I will try to send it to you as a pm but the file size may be too large.

I believe that the 1c came with the same ANR "filter" that fits over the condensor, AND a brass ring that had to be installed inside the condenseor housing. The brass ring raises the condensor the exact depth of the ANR "filter." ... I installed the brass ring in my Valoy II, but I wasn't sure I needed it because the condensor is seated under a spring inside the housing. The spring flexes enough to take up the difference of the ANR attachment / filter thing.

Hopefully that's somewhat clearer than mud. I will try to message you the Valoy II manual.

EDITED: I can't figure out how to message the attachment to you. Send me your email address and I'll send it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    I believe that the 1c came with the same ANR "filter" that fits over the condensor, AND a brass ring that had to be installed inside the condenseor housing. The brass ring raises the condensor the exact depth of the ANR "filter." ... I installed the brass ring in my Valoy II, but I wasn't sure I needed it because the condensor is seated under a spring inside the housing. The spring flexes enough to take up the difference of the ANR attachment / filter thing.

Hopefully that's somewhat clearer than mud. I will try to message you the Valoy II manual.
    No worries, it is very clear and anyway, I know exactly what you are talking about I sent you my email.

What you describe makes sense. The Focomats 1C indeed have this brass ring, I think it is 3mm thick. Come to think of it, sometimes I have found this ring but much thinner in 1C's. More like half a millimeter. Now I wonder if this one was meant for the NEWOO brass part? I have the feeling the AN ring came into production when Leitz made the 1C. With the 1C is is much easier to install the brass ring than with the Valoy. Of course the 1C and the Valoy II were overlapping in production . . . I wonder until when the Valoy II was made?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may find answers by contacting your Leica Netherlands. I contacted Leica USA a few years ago and was informed that they did not support the Valoy II, but they sent me the manual I just sent you. Given your proximity to Germany, it's possible that you might obtain specs for that brass ring if that's what you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin