Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,189   Online: 693

Shooter
    Medium Format

WTB: FH-835S 35mm strip film holder for NIkon Coolscan 8/9000 scanner

I am looking for a spare FH-835S strip film holder for a Nikon Coolscan 8000/9000 scanner. I've seen them offered new on ebay and elsewhere for ridiculous prices (like $360 for example). But I am hoping someone has a used one for a more reasonable price. Even if it is broken, mangled, or modified I could may still be able to use of it as my intention is to heavily modify it for a project I am thinking about. Thanks.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you're planning on changing it significantly, have you considered 3D-printing a fresh one directly to your design?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's an interesting idea, polyglot, but probably a bit beyond my capabilities at the moment. These holders are not particularly simple, having a toothed track down one side which the scanner uses to draw it in, and various registration features; not to mention all the lips and steps and edges on the piece which may or may not be important - some investigation would be required first to understand the scanner's loading and stepping mechanisms to see what features are really important. In addition to making accurate measurements of all the critical dimensions, one would need to have reasonable proficiency with a drawing program, and of course access to a 3D printing machine. Not to say that any of this can't all be done. But I'm just not there yet.

I'll keep it in mind as a long term project though, if I can't find a used one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Given the amount of plastic in one of those Nikon holders, I'd expect the OP might be better off just paying the ridiculous ebay prices. Something that large and dense could easily run $200 without an aggressive post-design material minimization.

In traditional injection-molding, the material costs quite little in comparison to the cost of making the mold. But in 3D printing, the amount of and type of material used is the primary driver of cost.

If the OP finds a source for these, buy me one and I'll pay you a fair price...seriously.

--Greg

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin