Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,009   Online: 809

Shooter
    Large Format

looking to buy some vintage lenses for wet plate photography for 8x10

hi

if you have any vintage brass lenses that are fast like f3.5 or f4 which are not too expensive.
    please let me know, i am interested in purchasing some lenses.

thanks

phil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need quite large lenses if they are Petzval/Darlot type to cover 10x8, these tend not to be cheap. It would help if you stated your location.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi ian

i am in vancouver, bc canada
    lenses can be shipped anywhere.
    i chatted with a few people who have these lenses and they say just wait around for the right lens for the right price.
    i have a few modern lenses that are f5.6 so they will work in the meantime but i would like to hvae the vintage lenses.

cheers

phil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Phil, I asked about location because I've done well at Flea markets, a great Petzval for £20 ($31) 6 months ago actually from someone I know through camera fairs as well. It's quite large & heavy but was in apparently poor condition - it cleaned up beautifully and is optically perfect but it only covers 5x4 maybe half plate.

This last Easter Monday at the same Antiques & Flea market I found a nice 8" RR but coverage won't be more than half plate, again it looked poor in terms of the brass work but again has cleaned up well. Both thease lenses had no Waterhouse stops but it's easy to make your own. The stall holder at Mondays Antiue/Flea market had another 3 brass lenses but the rest were projection with no diaphram or slot for Waterhouse stops.

Yes your friends are right it is a case of waiting and these lenses are available at the right sort of price, but it helps to put yourself in places where that might happen Flea markets, Camera fairs, swap meeets even antique shops. It's very rare that I don't come away with some real bargains at Flea markets and Camera Fairs - the same seller I had the 8" RR off sold me a Rolleiflex Automat for £80 ($125) his marked price was £155

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    that makes total sense. thank you. i just read up on Voigtländer Heliar lenses and i am liking those. they are f4.5 and are sharp lenses. i will be in the look out for those too. my interest right now is 8x10 but i am thinking of making the jump up to 16x20 view cameras. so lenses number 6, 7 and 8 would be good too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    bump me up

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin