Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,607   Online: 810

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB: Helios 58/2

Before going to ebay and buying stuff overseas, I'd like to post here first instead. Looking for a Helios 58/2 (any version is fine). Cosmetic condition does not matter, as long as glass is clean and focus is not very stiff. PM me for offers. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice lens. I lucked out with my Helios 58/2 M42. I tested it against my 50mm Pentax Super Takumar 1.4 and I think the Helios is a bit sharper.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Are you looking specifically for a Helios? Or will another M42 lens do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chrismat: I used to own one, I think it was one of the earlier versions with the veeery funky OOF areas. Surprisingly sharp tho.

elekm: As long as it is in m42 mount and around 50mm range.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I only ask, because there are many inexpensive 50mm lenses. For example, you could buy a Praktica LTL or MTL, probably for $30-$60, and get a good 50mm lens. Plus, the LTL and MTL bodies are very good cameras. Not state-of-the-art, but good, practical cameras ... "Praktica"l.

The earlier Praktica FX models often have a Biotar or Tessar, but those often need to be rehabbed. Same goes for the even-earlier Contax and Pentacon models. Plus, these have manual or semi-automatic apertures (you have to reopen the aperture after each shot). These use lightweight alloy mounts (aluminum barrels).

As well, the Vivitar XC-3 camera often will have a f/1.7-2.1 50mm lens attached that is very good. These often sell for $20 or less. There are f/2.8 versions, but I'm not sure if these are Planar or Tessar types.

If I was looking for a 50mm lens, I probably would go for a Praktica LTL/MTL first or a Vivitar 50mm lens.
    Last edited by elekm; 04-06-2013 at 06:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    ColdEye, I have a few M42 50mms. I'll bring them with the 200mm and you can check them out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, that sounds awesome. Thread closed.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin