Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,979   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Searching for a Paterson Orbital

Hi,

i am searching for a Paterson Orbital to develop 8x10 sheets.

Are these still available somewhere?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think UK has lots of them.

I have a new one, but shipping to you is insanely high.

Actually I did not know they can do 8X10, I thought they were only for 4X5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They are really paper developing trays that can be used for film. They're meant to be used with a minimum of solution in a constant agitation on a motorized base or by hand. If by hand there is a ring on the bottom for the motorized base that prevents easy hand agitation.
    They came with three small cups for developer, stop and wash. I owned one and have the paperwork. They can be used for film of course but you need to completely fill the tray for film when it is not being agitated, which from what I remember is up around 1400ml for full coverage. I would not necessarily trust them for good agitation on the motorized base into the corners with minimal solution. It is not a random enough agitation. When completely full they are a pain in the ass to empty for solution changes and get pretty heavy. If you drop it they like to split on the corner seams. Personally for 8x10 film I wouldn't even use it. Even for 4x5 the sheets can move and more then once I found them dislocated. If you get one you need to score the bottom with a utility knife or use drops of glue to keep the film off the plastic bottom or the film will stick to it.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about an 8x10 Beseler drum and agitator?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the orbital processor will work for 8X10 film, but you need to do a few modifications first to get even development.

Once you get one Google them and you will find all the info you need to spend 30 minutes (plus drying time for the glue) so you can use them for film.

Basically you need to stop the films sticking to the bottom of the unit (you can score them, or use small drops of glue, or even silicone "bumps" like you stick to glass so you can sit it on a table/under glass shelves), cut off the 2 plastic "fins" under the lid so the developer flows evenly around the unit (the fins were designed to swirl the developer around the paper surface, but can cause uneven development with film), and replace the pins that come with it with longer pins (I used used a plastic knitting needle)

You only need 200-250ml to cover an entire sheet, and I always pre-wash the film in plain water for 5 minutes before putting in the developer.

I finally got one after looking for a few years, and prefer it to my Jobo 5x4 drums for quick processing of a couple of sheets of film
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Andrew, I also use a jobo drum for 4x5 and 5x7 (with a paper drum).
    A guy told me last week that he used the paterson for his 8x10. It is a decision if a am going to do it with trays, or use som kind of drum.

thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd recommend saving for a 3005, that or deep tanks. Trays works fine, but I find them a time sink if you have a few to process.

Just in case that you're looking for the paterson orbital , Gavin [UK] has 3 of them for sale in another forum.

check in this link http://is.gd/szKZoW
    Last edited by Muihlinn; 04-15-2013 at 02:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, they can do four 4x5" / 9x12cm, two 5x7" /13x18cm or one 8x10".

If doing film, create some ridges on the base to stop the film sticking. I've used some insulating tape with a small wire running lengthways - that way there's no permanent modification. I've seen some people make a bead of epoxy, others will grind out indents.

You don't need the motorised base. Hand "wobbling" works fine, and using 150ml of developer solution you get evenly developed negs every time. They're super easy to load and unload, even in a dark bag. I've not had a single issue myself, and highly recommend them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use mine for sheet film if using Caffenol Semi-Stand. I use 400ml chemicals and rock the tray gently to act as a slosher tray. I do not use the base, I stand the Orbital in a 10x12 developing tray with a water bath and this is sat on an electric dishwarmer, this prevents the chemicals cooling down during the 70 minute processing time. I also do a 4 minute pre-soak. I have never had a bad negative using this technique, although lately I have been using a 3006 Expert Drum in Pyrocat HD as it processes 6 sheets of 5x7 rather than the 2 sheets in the Orbital.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Heard from a good source that three trays will be on fleabay.co.uk within a day or two, and he will ship international.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin