Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,040   Online: 933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

WTB small tripod head for backpacking

I just picked up a nice Giottos 4-section tripod for traveling or backpacking. This is a smaller tripod, so I am looking for a good head to match. A ballhead would be preferable but I am not closed to a pan/tilt. Have to keep it on the cheap side though. THX
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had good luck with Bogen 3025 heads in the past. I currently use one a monopod and they're very inexpensive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bogen-Model-...item232a31e17f

I just looked to see if they're still floating around and spotted this right away. The compromise of compactness leaves small tightening knobs but I never really felt it was that difficult to function with.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Bogen is OK for what it is, just not very compact compared to a ball head.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I have one in my classified ad, weighs 13 oz.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Darin - have you looked at the markins heads? I have the Q3 Emille for back-packing and the Q20 for regular use - very pleased with them after having an Arca-Swiss B1
    David

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ouch they are $300. Doubt i could find one used.
    I need to go through my stuff. I just found a gitzo head but i think its too big for the little tripod. I may have a old manfrotto ball head in the garage.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a brand of Korean made ball heads - Horusbennu. I have the LX-2T that I use on my Bogen 3001. Small, light, not too bad. But not a gitzo. I would not use for anything larger than 35mm with a 300mm.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Of all the small ball heads I have tried for backpacking, the Leitz ballheads where the head is grooved is the most positive-locking. There's a small one and a large one, they are both good but the small one is lighter-weight.

I have not had luck with locking any ballhead with smooth or textured ball surface. But grooved is the trick.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is what I use - amazingly light and will handle just about any 35mm or 120 camera: $175
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...ltra-light-bal

Shooter
    Large Format
    I strongly recommend the Velbon magnesium alloy ball heads. I have Model #PH-263. It is very light and compact and I've had several 4x5 cameras on it. It has no quick release plate, but it is light and was cheap, there are several heads in the series.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin