Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,547   Online: 992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

WANTED: Beseler PM2M instructions

I have a Beseler PM2M that I want to use for B+W analyzing. This is the Analog version and I don't know how to set it up.
    I know how to use it for color printing but not sure if I can get it set up for B+W.
    I have had someone sent me a way but it was with a digital readout and I'm not sure if it would work with the analog needle and how to interpret what I am getting.
    If someone has a user manual they would part with, I would be tickled pink.
    It has the module with it and I could set it up for 2 different papers.

Thanks
    Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I may have that in my files. Let me check. I think that's the analyzer I have, but it's been in storage for ages. One important thing I remember about it before you do anything--don't turn it on to read with the room lights on, or it can damage the sensor.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I may have that in my files. Let me check. I think that's the analyzer I have, but it's been in storage for ages. One important thing I remember about it before you do anything--don't turn it on to read with the room lights on, or it can damage the sensor.
    I have my fingers crossed on this. It works great with color. I usually turn it on with the safe light on anyway.

Thanks
    Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You'll want to make your actual readings with the safelight off.
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    You'll want to make your actual readings with the safelight off.
    Thanks David
    I have used a analyzer for color since the 80's. I have my setup to turn off the safelights whenever I turn the enlarger on. Color printing is good. I am concentrating on B+W now and it just sits there in the way not being used and I would like to use it for contrast analyzing and try to get close on exposure. I am trying to set it up for this and when I use variable contrast paper, I would like to think I can dial in my yellow and megenta filters to print the contrast I like to see. I had someone send me instructions last year for a different analyzer but it was for digital readout and since mine is analog, I can't mentally think what I am reading. (read that as getting old)
    Their instructions said to set it up with the Cyan mode but that is a little confusing to me. I know cyan is the opposite of yellow and magenta. I think I am stating that right.
    Anyway, I hope you can find the instructions. All I would need is a copy of the B+W setup. I don't know why this model has scarce info on it.

I hope I have explained my goal. If not, it will go into storage.

Thanks
    Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think that for B&W you can determine exposure on the cyan channel, but yellow and magenta filtration for VC paper aren't so straightforward as setting up channels for yellow and magenta, since the goal is different from the goal with color. I think you would have to have a way of reading, say, a Zone III and a Zone VIII spot on the negative, and determine the filtration based on the difference between them. Anyway, I'll hunt around and see if I can find the manual, and see if it says anything about this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have PM2L manual so it should be similar, if you need it PM me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    I would like to use it for contrast analyzing and try to get close on exposure. I am trying to set it up for this and when I use variable contrast paper,
    To figure the paper contrast to use proceed as follows:
    Use the 'white' channel and measure the contrast range from thinnest area of the negative you want detail to the densest portion using the spot probe.

Sometimes it is easier said than done because you may need to move the negative around in the enlarger to minimize cosine falloff which would result if you move the probe around the baseboard. Since it is just an estimate of your printing contrast needs, a little inaccuracies may be tolerated. Once you have your negative range as it is projected on the baseboard, you look up the paper contrast needed in your chart of paper contrast range values you previously made using a contact printed step wedge.

If you measure your negative density range with a densitometer ( not what you have indicated you are going to do), you construct your printing paper lookup table with a projected step wedge.
    If you measure your negative density on the baseboard ( as you have indicated you want to do) , you construct your printing paper lookup table with a contact printed step wedge.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    To figure the paper contrast to use proceed as follows:
    Use the 'white' channel and measure the contrast range from thinnest area of the negative you want detail to the densest portion using the spot probe.

Sometimes it is easier said than done because you may need to move the negative around in the enlarger to minimize cosine falloff which would result if you move the probe around the baseboard. Since it is just an estimate of your printing contrast needs, a little inaccuracies may be tolerated. Once you have your negative range as it is projected on the baseboard, you look up the paper contrast needed in your chart of paper contrast range values you previously made using a contact printed step wedge.

If you measure your negative density range with a densitometer ( not what you have indicated you are going to do), you construct your printing paper lookup table with a projected step wedge.
    If you measure your negative density on the baseboard ( as you have indicated you want to do) , you construct your printing paper lookup table with a contact printed step wedge.
    Hey ic-racer
    Looks like I am going to have to make a bunch of test for contrast. I don't have a step wedge to use. I was hoping I could use the zone system to set this thing up with, so it looks like some printing is in order to make a scale of what the paper will handle. I could shoot a zone system wedge and print them. I have a couple of books with the zones table in them. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time printing if I could just use a standard negative printed like I want it to look and somehow set the analyzer up for this look.
    Thanks for the info.
    By the way, I looked at your profile and I see you race 1/8 scale. I raced dirt oval for a number of years with the 1/8 and custom works cars. Never did get real good with them. Lots of fun. Not many tracks now locally.

Thanks
    Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin