Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,528   Online: 970

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB or T:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB or T:

I'm looking for an incident light meter. Something simple to use with my new to me 35mm. I plan on using experience and Sunny 16 for most of my exposures but want something small and simple just to double check when I'm uncertain... (I have a Pentax Digital Spot meter but I don't want to take that with me when I'm shooting 35mm.)

(Ultimately I would like to have THIS but can't swing it right now or probably for some time.)

I'm looking for something very basic and CHEAP.

(And of course I am usually willing to barter with prints if you fancy any of mine. =)
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 11-08-2013 at 10:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If a Moderator sees this could you kindly add "Incident Light Meter" to my Thread Title? Opps! =)
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 11-08-2013 at 10:22 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarity per Brian Shaw =)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Better yet... add "Incident Light Meter".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes! Thanks, Brian. I swear I'm not firing on all cylinders today...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since you already have a good meter why not get one of the plastic white balance accessories that are sold for digital cameras. You could use just the neutral gray part and meter off of that. I have the same meter and years ago Calumet had a plastic gray card. I cut it into pocket size pieces and use it routinely.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a fine idea, Jeff (thank you) and I would do that... except I already divide my Spotmeter between my RB67 and 4x5 bags. I keep them next to each other with a note taped to each bag that says "Light Meter?!" so that I don't forget it. I don't want to further divide it and then not have it with my other kits... I've got such a repeatable routine with that meter and those cameras I don't want chance it.

Plus, I'd like something a little smaller (and less expensive) to have with my 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm so forgetul of meters that a long, long time ago I bought enough meters to permanently keep one in each camera bag. What is your defintion of "cheap"? There is a Gossen LunaPro in the ads for around $80 with a 7.5/15 deg. attachment. That is what I keep in my MF bag and find it to be very useful in a "cheap" way. I've never been let down by it. Since the old merc battery is needed I fitted mine with an adapter, but cheaper option is also available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always wanted to get another Spot Meter for that reason, Brian. Maybe someday...

Cheaper than $80 unfortunately. I saw that one. Looks nice!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    I'm looking for an incident light meter. Something simple to use with my new to me 35mm. I plan on using experience and Sunny 16 for most of my exposures but want something small and simple just to double check when I'm uncertain... (I have a Pentax Digital Spot meter but I don't want to take that with me when I'm shooting 35mm.)

(Ultimately I would like to have THIS but can't swing it right now or probably for some time.)

I'm looking for something very basic and CHEAP.

(And of course I am usually willing to barter with prints if you fancy any of mine. =)
    Why Incident Light Meter? Surely it is better to measure the light reflected from a subject than to measure some of the light falling onto it?

You could use "Light Meter" a free app for your smartphone to keep the bulk down but it wouldn't be taking incident light readings... It does have a spot on it though so would be at least a little similar to the way you use your Pentax Spotmeter.

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have a smart phone... I've been using just a spot meter for the last 10 years so I'm with you on the plus sides of reflected meters.

However, I plan to use this particular camera in a different way. I'm not going to be metering each picture. At night I go by experience. For 'with me all the time / on the fly' pictures I'm going to use Sunny 16 or just take an incident reading where I am and use what brain power I have to adjust from there. It's just how I want to work with this camera. A nice change of pace.

Thanks, RR!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin