Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,004   Online: 894

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Instant WTB - Land Camera

Hi folks,
    it seems that I have finally given up my Polaroid/Fujiroid resistance...
    I'd like to buy a cheap-ish simple Polaroid Camera to use with Fuji peel-apart films - FP-100C and if I manage to get my hands on some - the FP-3000B. I looked round the german ebay, found some cameras, but somehow didn't fancy the risk of buying a long time unused camera. So I thought that many of you have, ehm, forgive me for saying this, more cameras than you really need...

So if anyone would be interested in making me a peel-apart convert and sell me a nice simple but working camera for wasting some fuji peel-apart film, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading

PS: I very much prefer to buy within EU to avoid customs hassles.
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know about pricing there but here in the US, the cheapest Land Cameras that use the pack film are the the ColorPack line. They tend to go for $10 USD or less in working condition.

I think most people don't realize the film for them is still available and thus they part with them cheaply.

I was given a Colorpack IV by a friend and it lead me to buying a Land Camera 101, 320, and 2 others.

IMHO, try to find one with the rangefinder for focusing, even if it means spending a little more money. Trust me on this, RF focusing is way better then the zone stuff.

What is your budget? Im sure one of us here can help you find what you want cheaply and send you into a happy peel apart frenzy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks! I know near to nothing about land cameras, I would indeed prefer a rangefinder over scale focusing...
    I imagined making this purchase under $50 to leave enough cash for film...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    So if anyone would be interested in making me a peel-apart convert and sell me a nice simple but working camera for wasting some fuji peel-apart film, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Have a Polaroid 1000 that uses SX-70 film packs, no guarantee as to it working. - Yours for the unbeatable price of £0.00 plus shipping.
    If you can find a better deal, take it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your very kind offer Paul, no better deal in sight yet, but I think I'll stick with the original plan of a land camera... I like to have as few cameras as possible.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Polaroid Big Shot is my instant shooter of choice. Very fun camera!
    Check out my website!

Yashica T4, Yashica Electro 35 GTN, Yashica-D.

Shooter
    35mm
    Things to consider beyond the zone vs RF focus system...

Many of the Land Cameras use a custom battery that will need to be replaced with modern batteries. The Model 100/200/300 series are usually 4.5v (I think some are less or more but all of mine are 4.5v) and so you'll need to get a 3 AA battery holder and replace the old battery. Or if you are clever, you can use a 9v with a resistor to cap it at 4.5v output.

The shutter system on the nicer folding Land Cameras is much easier to use then the Colorpack. The folders use a shutter cocking lever and then the shutter button itself is very easy to press. The Colorpack has a pressure button as the shutter that takes a little more strength to press and as a result, if you aren't really steady, you can slightly rotate the camera as a result of pressing the shutter.

The zone focus versions are usually in feet not meters. For me this is odd since I am American and used to feet but with cameras I am so used to meters. Some of the zone focus models also have a little square in the viewfinder that is for portraits, you are supposed to set the camera's focus to the mark for portraits and get the models face in that square to have focus. it's supposed to aid in focusing but I find it to be less accurate then I'd like so I measure and hope for the best.

The RF system comes in 2 kinds, the standard system which is common on the 100 and 300 models and then there's the Zeiss RF system which is coveted and comes at a higher price. I believe it comes on the 250 models and a few others. I've used both and I don't see a huge difference honestly. For the RF system, you have 2 holes liek many older RF cameras. The RF hole is tiny, but it's very easy to get focus in, then use the big easy to see viewfinder for composing. I've not had any issues with it. The only thing you need to note is, make sure if you get a folding LC with the RF system, make sure your camera fully expands completely. I had one or two that did not fully expand and this throws off focus.

The other thing that seems to be a preference kind of thing is the chemical press system on these. It comes in two formats... bars that press the chemicals out and spread them and rollers which do a much more even job of pressing the chemicals out and spreading them. Some prefer the rollers over the spreader bars. I honestly don't have a preference and use both. The key is to make sure that keep either one clean and if you use rollers, make sure they are clean and roll freely.

Last note, some models of LC have a LCD timer back on them. These models can sometimes press into the filmpack and make it difficult to pull out the shot. I'd read that some people remove the timer system completely, other's will just gently barely open the body enough to get the shot out, then close and pull. This isn't a problem once you are about 2-3 shots into the pack from I understand.

My suggestion, still, find a cheap Colorpack series with the AA batteries and play with it. Then once you are in love and ready to spend a little money, get a 250 or something fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your explanation and sharing your knowledge!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Check this website out for specific info about Polaroid cameras:

http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landhome.htm

Hopefully that will give you an idea of what camera is best for you.

Shooter
    35mm
    andreios, any luck finding a cheap working Land Camera in your area? I keep seeing them here all over the place for cheap and think of you.

I think it would cost around $20-30 USD to ship one from here to you... But you have to have a good thrift/resale shop somewhere in your area with cameras. I think everyone does. But I am from the US and things here are different so who knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin