Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,397   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I looked at this the other day. $90 for a 2-pack. No, that's not a misprint - $90. And that doesn't include shipping.
    $45 each for brand new 4x5 film holders is not excessive. Since Calumet shut down all Fidelity/Lisco/Regal film holder production a couple of years ago (then sadly went Chapter 7 themselves recently), only Toyo holders remain. Unless you go the very expensive hand-made custom route. Calumet is still advertising new 4x5 Fidelity holders via That Auction Site for $49.99 each. (Don't do it...!!)

New Toyo 8x10 holders go for $200+. LF is not for the faint of wallet. The only way to justify these items as new is that they are (hopefully) a one-off lifetime purchase, to be reused again and again, then eventually resold as used at your estate sale. If one has not yet reached that level of LF commitment, then used holders are the way to go.

Since no seller intentionally advertises leaking used holders, find an auction that allows a 14-day return. Buy some holders. Place a sheet of 4x5 b&w photo paper into each holder. Set them out in the light, over easy, like the eggs. Then process the paper and return any that leaked. No one can contest a returned leaking holder, unless the auction description originally stated they were leaking. Which of course it didn't.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    6 used Riteway 4x5 holders just sold for $49 today right here on apug.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I looked at this the other day. $90 for a 2-pack. No, that's not a misprint - $90. And that doesn't include shipping.
    Toyos?
    I know. But OP was leery of buying used and had issues, or seemed to, with suggestion of buying here.

Hence my suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    LF is not for the faint of wallet. The only way to justify these items as new is that they are (hopefully) a one-off lifetime purchase, to be reused again and again, then eventually resold as used at your estate sale. If one has not yet reached that level of LF commitment, then used holders are the way to go.

Ken
    Most certainly not for anyone faint of the wallet! Then again 45$ per sheet holder is same as an average CF card for digital SLR. Will probably see as much usage.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went back and checked. The $90 were for Fidelity holders.

Ken, LF may not be for the faint of wallet and I understand the economics of small scale production (as well as supply and demand), but I do think $45 for a new 4x5 holder is excessive. None the less, as the saying goes, it is what it is. I agree with your approach to buying used ones.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just for a bit of perspective, the New55 Film KickStarter project just began. There are already 295 pledges from people who are willing to pay $15 per sheet for this 4x5 material. Three sheets equals a new conventional 4x5 holder. Even my wallet is fainting! (But I still also pledged something.)

I was surprised to see those 4x5 Fidelity holders on B&H. I thought they had ceased all selling of those. Then I remembered that Calumet had been advertising on their eBay clearance site a lot of 1,600 4x5 Fidelity holders. That lot disappeared not too long ago. I wonder if...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never had a problem with mine...(except what I caused...). I'll send a few to you if you'd like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
    I've never had a problem with mine...(except what I caused...). I'll send a few to you if you'd like.
    No definitely not new as I need to save my money for a few extra expenditures such as Food and Shelter. I contacted CatLABS and he has a few newer ones. See how this works out. Hopefully I can eventually build up my collection.

I also found 1... Only no ds
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cut-film-hold...2714a70&_uhb=1

Why ?
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 03-26-2014 at 01:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yah, and the one on fleabay is "minty" Only thing wrong it's missing parts. I wonder what his "VG" items look like...
    bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everybody can relax from their search for holders ;o) I have 3 on their way now. Thanks for your relentless search. Might need some more in a month or two but this is good for now. Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Just for a bit of perspective, the New55 Film KickStarter project just began. There are already 295 pledges from people who are willing to pay $15 per sheet for this 4x5 material. Three sheets equals a new conventional 4x5 holder. Even my wallet is fainting! (But I still also pledged something.)

Ken
    I think you've missed the point of Kickstarter entirely. Do you also think that people are willing to pay $50 for a printed T-shirt or camera pouch? The pledges are to fund the buying of equipment and materials to bring back a once great product, not to buy the product itself which has a target price of $6 per sheet (a bargain if you consider you get a print, a negative, and you don't have to pay for developing).

Dan
    "Fun? Ah yes, the employment of time in a profitless and non-practical way."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin