Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,516   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 film holders

I am just starting out with 4x5. I have done 35/120 for a great part of my life. I have been "given" 4 holders that always leave light leaks on the negative. Is there anyone out there who has film holders 4x5 that are proven "sealed" ? I only need maybe 2 for now so I can see what it is like to make a great 4x5. I live in W/Canada so shipping will be the biggest deciding factor. I have invested in the camera, lens, enlarger lens and 100 sheets of film only to be discourage by the holders. Maybe that the marks are left by something else but people here and in LFP think as I do. Someone must have some proven light sealed 4x5 that are just taking up space in their collection. And NO I do not want your "free" ones as I have paid shipping across N America for crap.
    Thanks Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-Attemt @ 1 decent photo.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you're just starting out, then the first thing you need to know is to pull the black cloth back over the camera back as soon as you pull out the dark slide, especially if the slot is pointed up. All film holders are to be considered leaky, even when new. Don't just walk around with a Graflex for instance with your dark slide out. Also be sure it's not the dark slide at all, but the spring-back of the camera, the felt, and how much back pressure you put on the film holder while slipping the slid in and out. Film holders get blamed for light leaks and sent to prison, when they were innocent, all the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Been through this before. Black cloth is always completely over the back & bellows whenever the holder even comes close to to the spring back. Spring back is good. Light seal (felt) on the back has been changed. This was probably the + or - 10th photo done with this camera. Each time I tried I eliminated the probable and was always only thing left is the holder.

Shooter
    Large Format
    OK. I've seen the Riteway holders do this with the most frequency. Lisco Regals do pretty well. If that helps. Next thing is to get out all film holders and inspect by pulling dark slide out and looking for leaks through the slit with a bright source. Also check tapes on opposite end for pinholes whenyou open them. And see thet these end flaps do not have a lot of slop in their hingeing. Wooden holder should be summarily re-built.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CatLABS, one of APUG's new partner companies, has been offering for sale what look like very nice 4x5 film holders. Maybe he still has some left?

Take a look here...

FS: 4X5 lisco regal / fidelity delux holders

[Edit: Better hurry, though. Someone else clicked on it one minute after my initial post...]

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-25-2014 at 02:55 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought 30+ holders from different people and never have any problems with any of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not all darkslides are the same width. I have a plastic graflex holder with a darkslide about 1/8" wider than a Lisco Regal darkslide. So check yours for any side to side play. Darkslides and holders often get mixed up over time.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the posts. Sent a PM but probably still looking. Shipping to V5M-3X1 for a shipping price estimate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are that paranoid about quality of used ones, why not just buy them new off B&H?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    If you are that paranoid about quality of used ones, why not just buy them new off B&H?
    I looked at this the other day. $90 for a 2-pack. No, that's not a misprint - $90. And that doesn't include shipping.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin