Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,984   Online: 683

Shooter
    Medium Format

Want old Ries tripod parts

Mostly I need the knurled black knob with 1/4" x 20 threads that tightens the legs. (Kind of resembles the knob that often screws into the bottom of a camera case to attach it to the camera) I can send a picture if you think you might have one. Would consider a couple if you have them.

I won't tell you how I broke it*, but let's just say Ries tripods are surprisingly durable.
    bob

OK, I was late to a meeting, had set it behind my Ford Ranger, was in a hurry, and backed completely over it. I don't see a mark on it except the knob broke. Yah, I'm surprised too. I thought I'd be picking up kindling or tooth picks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think it is still possible to get parts from Ries.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From their website;

Parts: Parts are available if you obtain a used tripod. Please contact us for information. A picture is extremely useful to identify the model and vintage of the tripod. Please email pictures and let us know which parts you need.

http://www.riestripod.com/support

They are in Bremerton, you could probably drive there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, I can get parts from Ries, and I will if none turn up here, but I thought someone here might want to sell some (or maybe other spare parts from a junk box if they have them.) I bought a replacement top plate from Ries to replace the 1950s model that was on it (it had broken during the previous owner's ownership.) The new heads are being machined (milled?) and are stronger than the previous cast ones.

Part of it is, I'm torn between telling the owners what their tripod survived and telling them the dumb thing I did... :o(
    bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ace hardware carries some similar knobs.
    So does Rockler.com their business is woodworking stuff
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, I looked at some on both sites. They'd work fine, but I'm going to hold out for originals. If none turn up, I'll see if I can get Ries to bring one to the camera swap in Kent. They have reserved a display table there

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a bag of vintage Ries goodies and there are some knobs for the earlier versions with the black wrinkle finish.
    Pm me--can u provide a pic of the one you need to match?
    --Joe Burke
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ries Knob

I hope I've uploaded a picture of the knob.
    bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ries Knob, cropped.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I have looks identical. What's the length of the threaded part on the other end. I think I have two different lengths.
    Just email me directly.
    --Joe Burke
    Joseph Burke

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin