Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,083   Online: 972

Shooter
    Multi Format

WTB: Patterson Tank Caps & Rollers, Agitator, etc.. Stuff for film developing

I'm trying to get into developing my own negatives, so I picked up a few Patterson tanks on ebay, but I need a few parts to complete the kit..

I did some googling last night to try to find spare parts a la carte, but couldn't really come up with anything, so I'm hoping someone here might have some of this stuff lying around

2x Caps
    Agitator? I keep reading that inversion is the way to go, but I wouldn't mind having atleast one of these - are there different lengths of agitators?
    1xSpring collar
    3 auto-load rollers

Chemistry?

Other stuff like clips & film squeegees might not be a bad idea, either. I'm planning to do 35mm & 120 B&W development to start with, so if I need anything else, please feel free to pitch it to me! I haven't done anything like this since high school, but I do have a chemistry degree, so I'm not terrified of the process.

also, I'm a new user here, but I have some FM & eBay cred to alleviate any concerns. I prefer paypal and know my address is confirmed.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

Which type of tanks do you have? The caps vary between the versions. You may want to post a photo.

Rubber bands or an empty reel work well instead of the clips. In fact, an empty reel is probably the best.

Don't use the rotary agitators. If you must avoid inversion, just move the entire tank in an exaggerated figure eight.

By "auto-load rollers" I expect you mean reels. In addition to the Paterson versions, there are generic versions (AP, Samigon, Arista et all) with wider flanges that work as well, and some prefer.

Have fun!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good point. I've attached a photo below. I had read a few things saying that the agitators really aren't necessary, and I'm inclined to believe them, but part of me still wanted to have the option available. I'll go with swirling the tank and whacking it against the side of the bathtub to make sure the mixture gets sufficiently mixed/homogenized..

I bought it knowing it needed a few parts, which is fine. They where the cheaper option I'd found. I guess I still need about 2 reels to fit in the other tank - one expanded out to 120 width. So long as the reels fit the center column, I don't care what brand they are!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PatersonSystemTanksEbay.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	87196

Actually, in looking at it, I think I might need just one reel? The perspective of the image is throwing me off - the eBay auction said one was a 3-reel and the other a 4, but I don't think that it is.. it looks more like a 1 and a 2-reel set to me?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These look like the plain System 4 tanks - one version older than the current ones.
    I would describe them as a two reel tank and a three reel tank, because one tends to use the reels set for 135 film when describing that.
    I have the twist agitators for the current tanks, but don't know if they will work for yours. If you were , locap, I would just give you one to try.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Developing film calls for the same skills employed in seduction..... be gentle. Move and roll the tank slowly.... otherwise you can create over-developed areas where the developer swirled over the retaining ribs of the spirals.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Too bad you're not in Europe, I've got a ton of System 4 spare parts laying around that I want to give a new home. I've upgraded to the Super System recently.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin