Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,531   Posts: 1,543,978   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: 8x10!

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB: 8x10!

I'm looking for a reasonably priced, as complete as possible, starter 8x10 set up. My plan is to set this up in a small studio with strobe. I would very occasionally use it for outdoor shoots (portraits), probably taking it no further than my backyard. Something with a longish lens with shutter would be nice, as well as a few holders. I've seen some of the B&J 8x10's go from $400 to $600, which is comfortably within my budget. Old is fine, but preferably nothing antique. Know in advance that I'll want to see pictures. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A monorail may be the most inexpensive. The older wood folding cameras (Kodak and Century) almost always require some restoration work. The best bet for a modern 8x10 camera is to find someone that bought one, no longer uses it, and realizes that it is only worth 1/2 what they paid. This is pretty rare, however, as it seems as if people selling things are under the impression that their brief possession of the item inflates its value.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Have this posting in the for sale section:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...ny-lenses.html
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you both. I'm certainly not looking for an antique or restoration job.

Omer, I got your PM's and your B&J looks good. I'm doing some research on that particular camera, to see if I feel like it's something that will serve my purposes for a while...

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a few good leads, but I'm still looking...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Toyo monorail

are you talking $600 for just the camera or for everything (lenses, holders, etc)? i have a Toyo monorail in excellent condition and a true telephoto lens (270m w/150mm bellows ext) and a super-sturdy tripod. no film holders for sale.
    Jack Rosa

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $600 for as much as possible. Every outfit and offer is a little different, and I know I won't get everything. How hard are holders to find for that camera? Can you PM me some pictures of what you got? I'm interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Toyo 6x6" lensboards are all over the 'bay, real and knockoff, as low as $20 each. You can also pick up adapters to their smaller 110mm field boards and/or Linhof/wista boards. I've actually got a recessed adapter on my 45G and all my lenses are on Linhof boards.
    Film holders are the other problem, if you wait you might get a deal for some at $30-50 (thanks Omer, mine arrived the other day!), or expect to pay $80-100 for something quicker on the 'bay.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

8x10 gear

Agree with Dr, C on the lens boards, etc. My preference for the 8x10 Toyo is the 6x6 boards.

Film holders ... not so inexpensive. Careful that they have NO leaks. Film holders will fit any 8x1o camera as long as they have the proper back.

In my opinion, a STURDY (and I mean STURDY) tripod is a must.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Lens fro 8x10

P.S. If you are just starting with 8x10 and do not intend to do professional work, don't send too much $$ on your first lens. You can find good used lenses on eBay (or classifieds) for a few hundred $$, or you can buy a brand-new 360mm Rodenstock or Schneider for $4,000+ I have used both, and need a 10x magnifying glass (with a 30x40 print) to tells the infinitesimal difference.
    Jack Rosa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin