Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,987   Online: 838

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

WTB or WTT: Need 8x10 film holders

Hi everyone!

So I need a few 8x10 film holders to get me started. I know it's rare, but now and then people DOWNGRADE from 8x10 to 4x5 (usually when they get tired of carrying the heavier camera) so I'm also willing to trade 4(4x5) for 1(8x10) on the holders.

OR

Buy them, now there's a whole lot on ebay mostly by a trusted APUGer (despite us not getting along I trust his listings) for basically $100 so I'm looking in the $50 range. I know it's a long shot but I killed most of my current reserves buying the camera and would like to pick up 2 holders for about $50/holder so $100 for 2. Or like I said earlier, trade. My ONLY stipulation is that they should of course be light tight, and not have any exposure to mold (like smell like a moldy wet rug or have obvious mold spores all over them).

Thanks!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I got into large format I did get some second hand holders but they were not all in great condition. Not sure how much new holders are these days.

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Did you end up buying the new 8x10 Chamonix? How do you like it?
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    When I got into large format I did get some second hand holders but they were not all in great condition. Not sure how much new holders are these days.

Tom
    New fidelity and Chamonix holders are both just over $200 plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by JackRosa View Post
    Did you end up buying the new 8x10 Chamonix? How do you like it?
    I think it will be sent out in the mail today, so I won't get it till most likely Friday...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    so why is it you can't buy a filmholder ?
    there are pages and pages of 8x10 holders on ebay, cheap ....
    if the hinges are "troubled" get black masking tape or gaffer tape or bookbinders tape.
    i can't imagine why anyone would spend 200$ on 8x10 film holders, unless they "had to buy new" for some reason
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    New holders, like new cars, are an assertion that one is not simply spending their hard-earned money to take over someone else's problems. Used holders can be had for $50-$100 each. But film holders are especially prone to wear and abuse over the years.

So if you end up buying a couple in order to get a few that are OK, you've spent as much as a new one. And then if that one that was OK reaches the end of its useful life, you're now out the cost of a new one, plus you now have nothing.

Unless one is lucky enough to know the seller personally, caveat emptor...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    New holders, like new cars, are an assertion that one is not simply spending their hard-earned money to take over someone else's problems. Used holders can be had for $50-$100 each. But film holders are especially prone to wear and abuse over the years.

So if you end up buying a couple in order to get a few that are OK, you've spent as much as a new one. And then if that one that was OK reaches the end of its useful life, you're now out the cost of a new one, plus you now have nothing.

Unless one is lucky enough to know the seller personally, caveat emptor...

Ken
    That and I do want to buy 2 NEW holders from Chamonix, this would be specifically for E-6 use, and I'm just not F#$king around on that one, but won't buy those holders for some time now that I'm tapped out...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    to each their own as they say ..
    and for what its worth .. i have probably 150 maybe more
    film+plate holders from 4-5 to 7-11 all used, none leak or have been abused ( have tested them for leaks ) and ive never had any chromes that were spoiled by bad holders ( 4-5&5-7)
    and none cost me more than 20$

im glad someone is buying new, showing the rest of us how its done
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-09-2014 at 03:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    to each their own as they say ..
    and for what its worth .. i have probably 150 maybe more
    film+plate holders from 4-5 to 7-11 all used, none leak or have been abused
    and none cost me more than 20$

im glad someone is buying new, showing the rest of us how its done
    Good then you can send me 10 for $10/holder right?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

New Chamonix

(new Chamonix) - Good for you! Let us know your first impressions when the new camera arrives. AND, good luck with it.

re: Film Holders: $200 is a high price, I must say. My holders were all brand-new when I bought them but that was a long time ago and the price was nowhere near $200. I have owned the fancy wooden holders - they look good, but at the end of the day, what one needs (from a practical point of view) is light-tight holders that are light-tight today, tomorrow, and next month. Nothing worse that spending the time and $$ to take a trip somewhere (e.g. Yosemite) only to come back with bad negs because the holders were not light tight! My 2 cents!
    Jack Rosa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin