Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,867   Online: 845

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format

WTB: Schneider 210mm f/5.6 Super-Symmar XL

If anyone is looking to sell one, please let me know. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oohh... that'll be a tough one to find. Good luck though.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    There's a Sinar-select 210mm SA on the other LF forum at the moment. Lot cheaper (albeit also a lot bigger) than the SSXL, but you're (hopefully) not after either lens for small formats...
    Last edited by LJH; 08-08-2014 at 10:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if it's the same lens or if it would work for you but I have a 210mm Caltar II lens in the ads on this forum. I believe the Caltar is made by Schneider. Take a look, thanks, Bob.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...ml#post1676218
    Last edited by nanthor; 08-09-2014 at 12:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nanthor View Post
    I don't know if it's the same lens or if it would work for you but I have a 210mm Caltar II lens in the ads on this forum. I believe the Caltar is made by Schneider. Take a look, thanks, Bob.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...ml#post1676218
    Thank you. That Caltar is lacking the coverage I'm looking for though... The 210mm SSXL has a 500mm image circle.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    There's a Sinar-select 210mm SA on the other LF forum at the moment. Lot cheaper (albeit also a lot bigger) than the SSXL, but you're (hopefully) not after either lens for small formats...
    I thought the SSXL was bigger than the SA (f/5.6 vs. f/8). Am I wrong in thinking this? I think the SA is heavier by 2 lbs though.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    I thought the SSXL was bigger than the SA (f/5.6 vs. f/8). Am I wrong in thinking this? I think the SA is heavier by 2 lbs though.
    The SSXL is faster (as you mentioned); however, different designs allowed the SSXL to be lighter than the SA.

I don't know what you are going to use this on, so be sure to check the fall-off for these lenses. From memory, the SSXL does suffer from more edge fall-off than the SA. So speed differences will be rendered moot if you need to add a CF to compensate.

Won't be much of an issue if you're only going to be using this on a small format (for the image circle) like 8x10 unless you're intending to use MASSIVE rise/fall/shift.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    I thought the SSXL was bigger than the SA (f/5.6 vs. f/8). Am I wrong in thinking this?
    Here are the specs:

Front mount diameter
    SA 140mm, SSXL 140mm

Rear mount diameter
    SA 125mm, SSXL 75mm

Overall length
    SA 169.5mm, SSXL 120mm

Weight in shutter
    SA ~3000g, SSXL ~2000g

Overall, the SSXL is smaller and lighter. The other distinctive aspect of the SSXL is that its design is quite lopsided - very large front cell, pretty small rear cell. The SA is better balanced, at the price of being larger and heavier overall. There are many cameras, even 8x10's, that the SA simply won't fit, because the rear cell won't fit through the front standard and/or the weight is just more than the front standard can bear. What camera are you planning to use the lens with?

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Here are the specs:

Front mount diameter
    SA 140mm, SSXL 140mm

Rear mount diameter
    SA 125mm, SSXL 75mm

Overall length
    SA 169.5mm, SSXL 120mm

Weight in shutter
    SA ~3000g, SSXL ~2000g

Overall, the SSXL is smaller and lighter. The other distinctive aspect of the SSXL is that its design is quite lopsided - very large front cell, pretty small rear cell. The SA is better balanced, at the price of being larger and heavier overall. There are many cameras, even 8x10's, that the SA simply won't fit, because the rear cell won't fit through the front standard and/or the weight is just more than the front standard can bear. What camera are you planning to use the lens with?
    Arca Swiss 8x10. Also, yes on the massive movements.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Perhaps look at the Computar/Graphic Kowa 210mm? MUCH cheaper and MUCH smaller. Just over a stop slower than the SSXL, but I don't think it makes much difference. Image circle is smaller, but it'll still be hard to edge it on 8x10.

Then there are the 210mm process lenses (Agfa, Konica etc); however, they're difficult to mount in to a shutter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin