Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,763   Posts: 1,670,803   Online: 744

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

WTB Tiltall Tripod

In search of an old-fashioned (no plastic), fully functional Tiltall tripod. Preferable from within the EU.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You want one labeled Marchioni Bros. or Leitz then.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I doubt that many people who read this website would be willing to part with their Tiltall. However there are many available on eB**. It might be worth paying for shipping from the US, even if you have to pay duty–the asking prices usually are quite low. I agree with Rick A about looking for one made by with the Marchioni Brothers, or the next model , made by Leitz, NJ.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info. There has not been any response from within the EU. Guess I have to start looking for one at the bay. One more thing, there are also Star D tripods, those are always equipped with only one handle?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrclSchprs View Post
    Thanks for the info. There has not been any response from within the EU. Guess I have to start looking for one at the bay. One more thing, there are also Star D tripods, those are always equipped with only one handle?
    I don't think so. Had one many years ago - it had 2 handles with plastic grips .(one of which broke). Not a bad knockoff but not Tiltall quality. If you find one cheap and local great. But I wouldn't invest much in shipping.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Star-D had two handles like the earlier Tiltalls. The grips on the handles of mine were plastic, less durable than the earlier ones. I've heard that the collets in the legs were plastic, although as I recall mine were metal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "there are also Star D tripods, those are always equipped with only one handle?"

My first tripod, a Star D "Conquest", which I bought new in the late '50s, had only one handle. It was OK, but did not resemble a Tiltall in any way. I really wanted a Tiltall, but those cost $35–an enormous sum to a 14 year old. IIRC my Star D cost $14. The Tiltall was considerably larger, but weighed a lot less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought my Star-D new at a camera store in Topeka, most of their Star-D's had plastic grips on the handles (other than that looked exactly like Tiltall's) . The one I bought, and a couple more they had, came with the metal Tiltall handles. At the time it looks like the Marchioni Bros were building both. Besides the handles, mine was made in NJ.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Tiltall knockoff made by Star D. It has two handles and is a middle weight tripod. I've seen a lighter one also made by Star Dd,but this medium weight job is my favorite tripod. Stout, but light enough you don't mind carrying it with you. I did add a Bogen adapter so I can use Bogen's quick release hex plates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin