Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,544   Online: 930

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

WTB Whole plate film holders 6.5x8.5

Hi, just bought a whole plate camera from an APUG member and now I need some film holder. I know I can buy new ones, but am hoping to find used ones that will fit my limited budget better.

Thanks,
    Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unlike the more common smaller (not ULF) formats, whole plate holders are not of standard size. You need to measure your back to figure out what you need. Key measurements will be holder width and the distance from the "tape end" to the far side of the lock strip. Another key will be the "T" dimension, i.e. the depth from the front of the holder to the surface of the film/groundglass. That's a much tougher measurement to make, though.

What brand is your camera?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info Steve, this is all new to me. I am still waiting for the camera. The camera is a Seneca Camera City View. Here is a link to the ad. http://www.apug.org/forums/classifieds.php?do=showad&adid=1356&title=sold-full-plate-camera-seneca-camera-mfg-co-camera-city-view-any-interest

Everything was just fine, I was perfectly happy with my 4x5. Then I made some lens boards for Seneca view camera for a LF forum member. The edge details are more complex than most lens boards and the black lacquer was very nice on the sample board. It was down hill from there.

When I get the camera I'll make the necessary measurements and hopefully be able to find the correct holders.

Roger

Roger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Roger -

Forget about trying to match the T dimension. Unless you're willing to have holders custom-built to match your camera, you'll just have to take what you can get in that respect. For basic fit, I believe the Seneca should be OK with Eastman-type holders, which are the most common type of older WP holder. Anyway, check the holder's external dimensions and/or buy with a return privilege and you'll be fine. Also, don't forget that plate holders with film sheaths are a viable alternative, in case you happen to run across those first.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oren, thanks for the info. A forum member in the UK is sending a Kodak whole plate holder so that is encouraging
    Roger

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin