Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,914   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Almost every old shutter I've had was repaired by simply dripping some lighter fluid on the blades and working the shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I have used this place for a shutter tune-up:
    http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

Jon
    The problem with Flutots is too many people recommend them So she is always busy, with a waiting list.

Any good camera repair shop can do the CLA, and many will be far quicker. I get a 3-4 day turnaround in the UK on shutter servicing and the service is superb.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    Almost every old shutter I've had was repaired by simply dripping some lighter fluid on the blades and working the shutter.
    Same thing as naphtha but I've read that lighter fluid sometimes has other ingredients. But the smallest can of naphtha I've found is a US quart and cost $8US off the shelf from a harware store paint department. The bright side is the quart will clean LOTS of shutters.

This method does often resolve the problem completely... at least for awhile... but a "true CLA" is the "best" option provided the shop is "honest enough" to do a "true CLA" at a "reasonable price". How many/which shops will do a "true CLA" at a "reasonable price"? I don't know but I suspect many will simply dip in naphtha and charge for a CLA. But... I have a severe "trust issue" reinforced by too many screwings. :rolleyes:

The above is NOT to impugn any of the companies mentioned in this thread. I've had no dealings with them. Even so... the only time I trust someone is when I'm constantly watching over their shoulder whilst holding onto my wallet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But the smallest can of naphtha I've found is a US quart and cost $8US off the shelf from a harware store paint department.
    That's "VPN", varnisher and painter's naptha- not as refined as the stuff in lighter fluid. If you put some on a sheet of glass and let it evaporate, it will leave a residue, same as it will on your shutter parts. Rosignol lighter fluid is cheap and cleaner, but I use electronic parts cleaner instead. It's an spray can with the usual red plastic tube , similar to the one WD40 has, and can be sprayed into the cable release hole on the shutter. I've also used alcohol, with some success.

None of these is the equal of a real cleaning, however. Go for the CLA, from any number of good shops, and replace the glass on the shutter rather than buying a whole new deal. If nothing else, you may be able to trade the newly cleaned shutter toward a different lens :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, from another thread I found that the Blue Moon Camera folks are in your neck of the woods. maybe they'll give you a price for a CLA. They're an APUG sponsor as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    if blue moon can't help you with a lead

there are 2 places in rhode island that do cla's and take things through the mail :

http://www.midstatecamerarepair.com/
    http://www.zackscamerarepair.com/

they both do very good work!

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, other than the shutter issue, are you happy with the lens? If so, probably better to invest in a CLA than to buy another lens. Most of the really inexpensive lenses will be older Wollensaks or older press lenses (typically 127mm Ektar or 135mm Optar). You won't find a lot of really inexpensive 210mm lenses. If you do, it will probably need a CLA anyway.

I think going rate for a CLA is more like $80 (not $30 or $50) but I could be wrong. Lot's of good repair folks and all deal very reliably by mail. Flutot's is fine; so is Paul Ebel (paulebel44@yahoo.com).

Only drawback is going without your lens for a while.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah I'm going to go into blue moon...I get filmed developed there a lot and its a great store.
    don't think I want to try and take the lens apart...I don't have a good track record taking apart intricate items..I'm the guy that ends up with a few parts left after taking something apart and putting it back together.

I'm planning on using this for portraits as I'm not a big landscape guy...but really its mostly just an experiment...I got the whole kit for $100 with a full pack of polaroid type 55(and a holder) so I really cant complain

I'll try the CLA route and maybe look into a picking up a wider lens so I can use something in the mean time

thanks for all of the replies...LF can be overwhelming

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I have used this place for a shutter tune-up:
    http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

Jon
    I'll second Flutot's. Yes Carol has quite a backlog so if your in a hurry she might not be the best route. She has a wait list so you don't send the shutter till she is ready to work on it. Once she has the shutter the turn around is good. I have been buy quite a few old lens, so I get right back on the list when I send a shutter to her.

Roger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin