Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,631   Online: 804

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

wtb - lens for calumet 4x5

hi all,
    recently picked up a calumet monorail view camera on craigslist dirt cheap...my first foray into LF photography. After testing it, it appears the lens has severe shutter issues so I'll be needing a new lens..cheap and functional are my main requirements, please let me know if you have any available
    here are some pics of the camera and my lone successful image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sanblas...7623351078683/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If severe shutter issues means a slow shutter that can be repaired by lots of people. I wish I had a lens to sell you. Don't get discouraged. It's a great camera.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean tell us about your severe stutter issues

It's possible the shutter can be cured of it's impediments, relatively easily and at far less cost than another lens & shutter.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you're looking for something like a 127mm Ektar in Supermatic or Optar 135mm in Graphex, I have a couple of those - they''re relatively inexpensive and not bad "normal" lenses. What is the lens you have now?

Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That's an older Alphax shutter. You might be able to partially resolve the problem by removing the front and rear glass then dipping the shutter in naphtha while cocking and firing the shutter a few times. Fire the shutter at all speeds but pay special attention to 1 through 1/15th. Slow shutters are usually caused by oil that's turned to gunk. Of course, this won't lube nor adjust the shutter but it will give you an idea as to whether a simple/cheap CLA will help vs. a major repair. Be sure to thoroughly drain, and blow out any naphtha then allow to dry inside on its side over night or in the bright direct sun 30 minutes each side to assure all the naphtha is gone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for all the replies
    lens is alphax bogen-arcar 210mm f3.5

the shutter fires with random slow times every other or every third release
    on 1 second, the actual 'timer' only appears to kick in every 3rd or fourth release(meaning I can only hear the timer every 3rd or fourth time, the others its firing at about 1/100th of a second or so)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds like your shutter needs a CLA, again you don't say where you are, a CLA is cheap in the US $30, but £50 in the UK and about the same in the EU in Euros.

Sometimes it's possible to do a simple clean yourself but it may not be your best option. But a couple of drops os Isopropyl alcohol on the shutter blades and firing the shutter a few times can sometimes work wonders.

I missed Mike's reply saying similar.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 02-21-2010 at 03:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Medium Format
    in the US, portland OR specifically

is this lens worth fixing? glass is in good shape

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmophoto View Post
    in the US, portland OR specifically

is this lens worth fixing? glass is in good shape
    The wide aperture suggests it will make a very nice portrait lens. I'd say it's definitely worth a a $50 CLA. Heck, the shutter alone is worth more than that.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I have used this place for a shutter tune-up:
    http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin