Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,537   Online: 1076

Thread: Bike Tripod

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bike Tripod

I'm looking for a tripod about 20 - 22" long (collapsed) to carry on my bike (pedal kind) with my Rollei. I've found the Rollei to be a great biking camera, but the tripod I carry around in the car for it is way too long collapsed. It would need to be sturdy enough for the Rollei, and have a column, but not necessarily a crank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Gitzo 2711 carbon fiber several years old, folds to 22in plus the ball head another 4in, together weigh 5lbs and easily supports 17 lbs. I have traveled all over including very long walks. The legs have three sections and the column is 12in. Supports a Hasselblad with a 250mm lens with no trouble. I don't know the current model# and they are not cheap but I found it to be a good investment. At the time I bought it they threw in a padded case that went for approx.$100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Tiltall?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For some time I have been thinking about incorporating a tripod into the stem of a bike, using the bike itself as a tripod. So you would tilt the seat or take it off and pull the stem up and voila, bikepod.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    A Tiltall?
    Waaay too long!
    The Bogen 3001 is about 21" long collapsed & certainly strong enough for a Rollei.
    You would have to add the height of whatever head you put on it but you could carry the head attached to the camera & install them both when you stop to fuzzygraf.
    Last edited by John Koehrer; 02-28-2010 at 11:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might try this. A Manfrotto Magic Arm with camp at one end, small 3-way head at the other. It would hold a Rollei easily. The bike itself becomes the tripod. A lot less expensive than a Gitzo.

Cheers
    Morry Katz - Lethbridge

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    I'm looking for a tripod about 20 - 22" long (collapsed) to carry on my bike (pedal kind) with my Rollei. I've found the Rollei to be a great biking camera, but the tripod I carry around in the car for it is way too long collapsed. It would need to be sturdy enough for the Rollei, and have a column, but not necessarily a crank.
    What is the bike ? How big ? Rack ? kickstand ?

tires ?

how tall are you ?
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies -

Can't make the bike part of the rig - sometimes I have to leave it nearby.

Tiltall definitely too long.

Don - good questions, but already considered in my "specs".
    But what you didn't ask - color of the bike is white.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin