Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,823   Online: 1121

Shooter
    8x10 Format

wtb 4800 ws Speedotron blackline pack w/ heads

I'm looking for a 4800 ws pack with a couple of the heads that go with it. Anyone looking to sell something like that? Thanks, Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should clarify where you are, because Speedo packs, while they keep on rockin' are alos like a box of rocks when you have to move them.

Also think twice before you say 4800. I have a 2400 and it is more power than I need for a lot of applications short of 4x5 stil life where the maximum dof is required.

You also should say if you want any of the newer offerings where you can dial down the power output, or one of the oldsters who blast full power all the time.

I have actually modified my 2401A to allow me to turn the 1200w/s section into a 200w/s section by disconnecting 5 of the 6 capacitors on each of the positive and negative banks. There are still times when I want less power and parallel and then hide one of the two heads on a section just to bleed the power of the one I am using to light the scene.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm

Speedo pack and heads

Quote Originally Posted by kenklark View Post
    I'm looking for a 4800 ws pack with a couple of the heads that go with it. Anyone looking to sell something like that? Thanks, Ken
    Hi Ken,

A buddy of mine has a 4800 watt pack and 4 heads. He used to be a pro photog, but I don't think he is using them much these days. I have used this rig quite a bit and the pack and 2 heads work great, the other 2 heads needs flashtubes (I believe - it's been 6 months or so since I used the system).

If you email me your contact info to lyndonbsmith@gmail.com I will forward it to him.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for your very useful advice, Mike.

I'm in nyc.

Your approach to controlling your light is very smart. I do want to be able to dial down my light, so point taken.

But I'm shooting wet plate at .3 ISO so I need every bit of light I can catch. Hope to manage with one, but expect eventually to need two packs. I'm hoping I can get by with just one 4800 for now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look into putting the word out at a place like the flash clinic that you are looking for a well seasoned, but not hard abused unit. That might be the best lead given where you are at.

Until then, you may want to consider picking up a cheap welding kit, and put the electrode on a rocker arm, and the strike plate on the stand where you want the light source to be. Step on a bulb release for the shutter at the same time you strike the arc. Vary current and time of welding bead to suit exposure required. Sorry, that is is a little to tongue in cheek to take seriously. I have heard of someone in the last couple of years shooting degaurrotype portraits with 30,000w/s of combined packs. Apparently there was the smell of burned hair after each exposure.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin