Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,440   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Wanted: I need a scanner. Bah.

So here's the story.

When I was broke last year, a really nice guy sent me an Epson 2450 Photo. The thing worked a treat and I used the crap out of it. The problem is that, well, it's almost dead. The transparency light only works occasionally and it doesn't even have drivers for Windows 7, which is what I'm on now.

So here's what I'm thinking. I've just gotten a 5x7 camera. I need something that I can use to scan that, my 4x5s, and my medium format. I was thinking about either a 4990 or a V700. Before I go either buying something new or heading off to Ebay to get annoyed by people sniping things out from under me, I figured I'd ask here.

I'm actually open to anything that will scan 5x7 at this point, so suggestions of alternate scanners that won't break the bank are appreciated.

Note that this is in Want To Buy, not in the general forums. I'm asking to buy one from someone, though I am asking about various ones I suppose. If people really object I can take it elsewhere.
    Last edited by Stephanie Brim; 03-10-2010 at 05:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What you need is to go ask on www.hybridphoto.com

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Go to Epson.com, click on the epson store, then clearance items. The 4490 is only $109 dollars, haven't had any trouble with mine so far. Then check out betterscanning.com to see if they have sheet film holders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The 4490 won't scan large format. The transparency adapter isn't large enough.

Also, I plan to be scanning both prints and negatives.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I actually use the new V600 and it works great, though you would have to custom design a holder for 4x5/5x7, which wouldn't be a big deal cause a piece of mat board with the proper hole should do the job. The v600 is really nice because I can scan the whole strip each scan run from my archive sheets at a time, ie. 3 - 6x6cm, 4 - 6x4.5cm, etc. The V700 is even nicer, though I can't really comment on it since I have yet to use one, but we have one at school and it looks pretty nice. I scan all my negs @ med. dust removal and that usually does a really good job and is quick. Overall I am very pleased with mine, and the V700 is supposed to have many more features. Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had a Epson V700 for a good part of a year now and so far I like it. It will can up to 8x10 negs. What I don't like are the flimsy film holders. Other than that, it's been pretty good. Good dynamic range also.

Shooter
    35mm
    the epson 750 might be worth the money over the 700 because you can fluid mount your film instead of using the film holders. Also IIRC it comes with silverfast which is apparently awesome for scanning from negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I won't be printing from the negatives I'm scanning. It'll be a quick way to show off my work while I get a real darkroom set up. I have two kids. It's very hard for me to get printing done, but I'm going to try!

The V700 is probably the best choice for me and I think I'm going to just sit on my negatives for a while, scanning them the crappy way with Vuescan and the dying scanner (when it wants to work), and pick up a refurb.

Another one I was looking into, though, is the 4870. There are newer drivers for that one and it would be usable through Vuescan as well.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I love my Epson V750. I have been in Digital Imaging for 13 years. I used to run Drum Scanners. I watched the commercial scanning market dry up as Digital cameras became the norm. During the same time CCD technology caught up with drum scan quality (well, within 90%), but there are always acceptable diminishment of quality when new technology arises.
    I use this scanner a lot. It scans images and documents for my graphic design and photography clients, as well as scanning my own film negs(8x10,5x7,4x5, 120). It saves me on photo paper as I scan my negs to determine contrast and toning before traditional printing. This scanner comes with "wet mount" capabilities. It also is a two lens scanner, it choses which lens based on enlargement.
    I
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Cornelius... does the v600 scan 4x5 and 5x7 negatives?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin