Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,213   Posts: 1,532,107   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

WTB: Older Portrait Lens (in barrel or shutter)

I am looking for a portrait lens, prefer an old lens, something not highly corrected. I would like something that will be nice for shooting wide open for portraits. I have been looking all over eBay for one but really don't know which one would be right for my needs.

I don't have a packard shutter so would prefer something in a shutter but I know a lens like I am looking for is normally in a barrel. I could always find a shutter to adapt the lens to once I find a lens, or just use it as is with a dark slide as a shutter with some Agfa 25 ISO film I have.

Anyway if you happen to have a nice old brass lens laying around in a drawer you would like to sell please shoot me a PM or email (colinmpritchett at gmail dot com). I would love to see a couple of photos of the lens before buying if at all possible.

I would prefer that it has a working aperture or waterhouse stops but not a deal breaker as I will be using it wide open most of the time, if you have a flange or retaining ring that would be great as searching for one or getting SK Grimes to make on is hard to find or expensive.

BTW: I need this by the first week in June, I would like to take some portraits of my aging father when he comes for a visit.

Thanks!
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

what format?

I have a 14.5 " wollensak verito for 8x10. $550. in barrel or in studio shutter that doesn't work, your choice.

What format are you looking for?

Corey

Shooter
    35mm
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me if any of these below would fit my needs of a portrait lens to give the diffused soft focus effect I have admired for portraits, i am copying/pasting these from www.igorcamera.com in the barrel lenses section as they seem to have a pretty diverse selection of lenses, not sure if the prices are correct but these are the ones in my price range.

Bausch & Lomb 13"/8 Planatograph, 8x10, Premo shutter, flange, Ex+ $250

Dallmeyer DALLON telephoto 12"/5.6, series-VI, #2, non-coated, Ex- $135

Eastman Zeiss Anastigmat 11"/6.3, older Air Shutter, made by Bausch & Lomb, Ex $125

Goerz APO Artar 91/2" /9 #767597, non-coated, flange, Ex++ $125

T. Robinson & Sons Rapid Rectilinear 9", brass, w/o waterhouse stops, Ex $225

Perken & Raymente OPTIMUS 5x7 Rapid Rectilinear, w/o waterhouse stops, Ex $245

Bausch & Lomb 5x7 Symmetrical 81/2" /12.5, Series VIIa, brass, flange, Ex $125.

Voigtlander HELIAR 7"/4.5, brass barrel, flange, Ex-/user $149.as-is

I was told by a friend and APUG member I would do well with a RR lens, and that is what I have been looking for and there are a couple here that look like they would fit my needs and pocket book, if anyone has a RR they would like to sell in the 8-12" range I would be very happy to hear from you. Also if anyone has a set of waterhouse stops that they would let go for cheap that would be cool, I think I have read somewhere that one can make their own too. Thanks
    Last edited by photobizzz; 04-30-2010 at 01:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by boyooso View Post
    I have a 14.5 " wollensak verito for 8x10. $550. in barrel or in studio shutter that doesn't work, your choice.

What format are you looking for?

Corey
    Way out of my price range, thanks though. i am looking at the $150-250 range.
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That Heliar would be very nice too. I'd highly recommend you take a good look at that as an option.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Colin,

What size do you need to cover? I have a couple of old Bausch RRs around (shutters may or may not work) - probably postcard size or 5x7s - I'm not sure which of them I've used though. I also have a nice Voigtlander (without shutter) - dates to 1881 from the serial number - no stops (I just use it wide open), no ring - it has a flared flange so I just taped it down to the board - around 8-10" I think. I also have an old Gundlach for 8x10 - it's a triple convertible and the rear element is pretty well shot so front cell only is around 29" if I recall - I can just barely get the bellows on my 2-D out far enough to use it. Any of these would come in well under your budget. I might have some other stuff lying around.

Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Colin,

Just a thought on those prices you listed. I realize that I have an 8x10 Planatograph in Premo shutter that I won on ebay - glass in gorgeous condition and air shutter works pretty well. But, I only paid around $110 for it. Of course, it could be argued that I got lucky and you're paying a premium to buy from a dealer where quality will be known. BTW, mine's not for sale.

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Seems to me that those prices are kind of high for an RR lens, but maybe they are being priced on appearance. The Apo Artar isn't really suitable for what you want. You can also try to get a projector type petzval, with no aperture and rig a packard shutter or even just use a lens cap on it. You can often get those for under $100. I haven't used a heliar, but if you can return it, I might give that one a serious look with f4.5
    Cheers, Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the experince - I will need to cover 4X5 and 5X7, the 5X7 I have has bellows for days so don't think it will be an issue there but I need to restore it, although I can use it as is. I have an APUG member that has offered me a RR with 5 waterhouse stops and flange for $150 which is priced right, waiting on a few photos of it now.

Fotoguy20d, I may be interested in one of the B&L RR's you have, I will send you a PM.

As for the Heliar I am waiting for a response from igorcamera.com as to why it is "as is", that may be just the lens I am looking for but dont want one that is crappy with broken glass or anything.

Thanks again all!
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    colin

you might also think about using a symmar convertible ( plasmat design )
    and use it converted ( without the front element )
    they tend to be a bit uncorrected and schneider suggests they are good for portraits.
    i use my 210 / 370 on a 5x7 camera for portraits from time to time. they tend to be in your pricerange.
    they are NOT a tele design, so they require a long bellows ...

good luck!
    john

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin