Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,418   Online: 731

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB Wet Plate Kit

I'd love to give wet plate a whirl so I'm looking for the silver nitrate tank, any chemicals, plates and holders? Anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look at this guy's stuff... http://lundphotographics.com/shop/ I have his new 'whole plate' silver bath tank which is completely light proof and has the latches on the lid and built in dipper. it's VERY well made and certainly a great deal compared to other companies equivalent equipment. There are also great options for plate holders. He can modify your own, or give you a new one.

For chemicals, you can go to Bostick & Sullivan. They have raw chemistry, and wet palte 'kits'. I went with a kit to get started, but ran into issues with the developer. I would start with just their pre-mixed collodion, silver nitrate mix, and roll your own developer. I got my aluminum from them also..... Works well now. I also think their sanderac varnish is not that great. I get some pinholes/specks on my plates and I hear that might be due too much water in their mix. B&S are new to collodion so it also might be teething problems with getting their recipes straight with the problems I had. I think after your first kit, you will be doing like me and rolling your own.

I have started to source some raw chemistry as well and have bought from B&S aswell as Artcraft. http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/ he has ETHER, but you have to call in for that.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!

Andy
    Last edited by Andrew Moxom; 05-06-2010 at 11:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lund's tanks are the best I seen in forever !
    I have a Burke and James 8X 10 the is looking for a home !
    Bostick and Sullivan has kits ready to use no need to mix open it up and go shoot
    hope that helps
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    buy all your chemicals form artcraft chemicals. call about ether. it is not listed.

artcraft is the best in product, pricing and shipping.

bill schwab has holders. 8x10. he is on the forum. h builds them himself.

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    with the Sullivan kits which one did you get? I think they're cheapest is 191$ Is that what I'm after for a fairly painless setup? I can probably make my own tank and holders. Also, any experience using alternates to the cyanide? I'm just not thrilled at the idea of offing myself while making pictures. My girlfriend agrees.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PS: I'd love your BJ but already have a couple of 8x10's and can't afford to get shot for bringing another one into our house

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin