Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,390   Online: 1074

Shooter
    35mm

WTB: Jobo or Unicolor drum and motor for 8X10

Getting into shooting and developing 8X10, was thinking of trays but from what I have read and heard a drum processor would be best, don't have a lot to spend but would love to have a setup so I can start processing when my camera gets here in the next week or so.

Please PM with any offers or pointers. Thanks!
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colin,

give tray processing a go. The bigger then film, the easier it is . Yes, there is more chances to scratch your film, but with time, it can be a mastered craft!

I used a 9x11 pyrez dish I got for $1 at the thrift store before finding an 11x15 tray, even easier .

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, I also have a few items I could trade if interested.

1. Ilex/Acme #3 with cool rear flange that allows for front mounting of shutter on barrel lenses
    2. 2 - Vivitar 150mm f4.5 enlarger lenses, M39 mount - no retaining ring
    3. Goerz 210mm barrel lens, no aperture, glass is ugly but will still produce nice negs, with home made flange that allows for attaching on the front of an Ilex #3 through the screw holes for the shutter front plate

PM me if interested and I can send photos of the items
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Colin,

give tray processing a go. The bigger then film, the easier it is . Yes, there is more chances to scratch your film, but with time, it can be a mastered craft!

I used a 9x11 pyrez dish I got for $1 at the thrift store before finding an 11x15 tray, even easier .

-Dan
    I have trays up to 16x20 so size is not an issue, but some of the film I will be using is Efke 100, and it has a very soft emulsion, I am sure I will try tray processing but a drum with roller base would be convenient too!
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Colin,

Not sure if this will work for you or not, but I have an old Cibachrome drum (both 8 x 10 and 11 x 14 tubes with end caps) and also have the motorized roller base to go with them. I've never processed film in a roller before so I don't know what the tube needs to be like.

BTW - just like the other Dan, I tray process all of my 8 x 10 negs (in pyro) and I don't have any problems with scratches. I've also tray processed 8 x 20 EFKE 100 film with no scratch problems.

Dan
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought a Bessler drum to do 5x7 negs with and I'm very happy with it. That said I've only developed 3 pictures but it could not be easier.

Make sure that the drum you buy has ridges in it, or removable ridges. Some drums are smooth inside and don't have anywhere to put the negatives. At least that's what I understand. The Bessler 11x14 drum is what I have, I think it can do two 8x10s.

Also make sure you get the cap on tight and put it on the floor or somewhere where it can't fall. The first time I used it I put it on top of the toilet (yup, that's my darkroom) and it fell and the chems spilled out and the film got exposed. Doh!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks sully, I have an offer for a couple of Cibachrome drums but Dan said they don't have ridges inside, and Ian said he would sell me a 8X10 drum for $10 so I think I am set, if the drums from Dan wont work I should be able to use the motor with the drum from Ian.

Does anyone have any experience using the Cibachrome drums for negatives? Will the negs not turn out right if there are no ridges? Do the negs go emulsion side towards the center so the chemicals can get on the surface? Do the ridges have anything to do with the chemicals getting to the neg or just for ease of removal when they are done?

Sorry for the many questions, I may post to the other forums with this...
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This may not work for you but did you see I had a Jobo ATL-2300, mint for sale?
    Best,
    Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all for the info, especially the long PM that Ian wrote explaining the ins and outs and problems with film in drums, I think I will stick to trays. I appreciate all of you helping me greatly.
    ~Horace~

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin