Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,435   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

WTB: 305 Kodak Portrait Soft Focus

Looking to buy a 305mm Kodak Soft Focus Portrait lens or similar soft focus lens, or a 12in darlot, not gold ring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here you go...there is a Kodak 305mm on ebay

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...80510704928%09

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regarding $600 for the Kodak 305mm portrait lens: Rather a ridiculous price for a single element lens - you can get pretty much the same results with a #3 close-up lens.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no connection with the seller......

having said that, its not a ridiculous price from a collecting standpoint.... Soft Focus lenses have skyrocketed in prices over the last 3 years, and the Kodak is a fine example of its type ( and this one looks to be in fine condition )...

You can read my series of articles on Soft Focus lenses here:

http://www.antiquecameras.net/softfocuslenses.html

having said that, one could come relatively close to replicating the results from this lens with various other methods as the poster above feels....

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by luvcameras View Post
    I have no connection with the seller......

having said that, its not a ridiculous price from a collecting standpoint.... Soft Focus lenses have skyrocketed in prices over the last 3 years, and the Kodak is a fine example of its type ( and this one looks to be in fine condition )...

You can read my series of articles on Soft Focus lenses here:

http://www.antiquecameras.net/softfocuslenses.html

having said that, one could come relatively close to replicating the results from this lens with various other methods as the poster above feels....

Dan
    But without a shutter?

Mark Sawyer (an APG member) had an article in View Camera magazine DIY discussing single element lens. His high school photo students used them to make some beautiful portraits.

BTW, I covet the 305 myself, still looking for a steal.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    600 is a bit high if there's no shutter. I had one about three months ago in a shutter which sold for around 800$, overseas of course. Never had a chance to use the lens but looking at what others have done with it I wouldn't mind getting another sometime.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've just acquired the 405mm version, which never came in a shutter. I got mine with some minor separation in the rear element, but it included an 8" Packard shutter with all the accessories, mounted on a Deardorff lensboard. Remember that either version was intended to be used in the STUDIO, where a shutter was not necessary - even wide open, under hot lights you'd have exposure times long enough you can use the lens cap as a shutter. And bear in mind, although this is a single element meniscus lens, it's no ordinary element. You're talking about a Kodak-engineered achromat from the time period when Kodak was one of the pre-eminent optical designers and manufacturers in the world. And besides, you lose a half stop and gain about 50% more weight with it in an Ilex #5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can buy a Cooke PS945 (which has 4 lenses) which is a 229mm lens and can be used on cameras up to 5x7 format, for £1950 (if you have the misfortune to live in the EU you pay VAT on top of that) which includes a modern Copal 3 shutter. It is an excellent lens. I have recently bought one (secondhand) and been trying it out in my garden. I am having to use high shutter speeds (well 1/125th sec, the maximum speed on a Copal 3 shutter) with a 0.6ND filter (my highest to date) with white flowers (my test target) and have just ordered one of the Lee 3.0 ND filters (x10) to enable me to use the 4.5 aperture and slower shutter speeds.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luvcameras View Post
    Here you go...there is a Kodak 305mm on ebay

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...80510704928%09

Dan
    be very careful with that seller and his various other handles.....you better know what you are looking at and be 199% sure......beware.
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To expand on what Eddie said, you will get what you see in the picture, it's just that often the accompanying text seems carefully designed to muddy the waters and allow you to fool yourself. Take nothing for granted and do your own research, especially when he is comparing the lens for sale to a "similar" design that has mystical properties.

I have bought from him on occasion and haven't been disappointed but I am always careful. The good stuff is usually priced closer to shop prices than eBay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin