Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,233   Online: 735

Shooter
    35mm RF

WTB - ltm 39mm extension tubes

I need a spare 15mm extension tube for my Valoy II enlarger and I figure I might as well look for a set while I'm at it, so, if you've an user set, Leitz or no, please let me know.

Also please, nothing rare or too collectable, I'm bargan hunting and cosmetics don't matter as much as usability and price.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your search turns up nil, consider making what you need from Fimo modelling clay.

It shrinks a bit on drying, so form areas undersize on any key spots and then then carve them to the required final dimensional shape with an xacto knife, sanding block, etc. etc once it has cured for a few days.

I have used this for many camera modifiactions.

Key parts can be made black with the application of a sharpie pen.

It can be 'machined' to good tolerance.

Where it will be under tensile forces, I have sucessfully reinforced it by smearing hot melt glue over the affected section with a popsicle stick type disposable spatula.

Sorry I can help on the OEM 39mm tubes. I do have a set of surplus 42mm auto screw mount lens tubes.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Mike, I have maybe a couple hundred ounces of polymer clays from various makers on hand and, of course, the mandatory Atlas Pasta Machine, mini-food processor, tissue knifes, etc so I'm all set if I decide to give it a try.

I've never used it for photography projects and I'm curious as to what other gear you've made with this stuff?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I first got into Fimo to make 'modelling lights' for a pair of Vivitar 283's. I used standard screw shells to power some 50W mini spot light bulbs. I used the Fimo to make a pair of U shaped affairs to hold the screw shell sockets on top of the flashes. I held this affair together with some velcro, and the occasional rubber band.

The next use was in the Metz 60CT1 pack and flash that came my way for $20. One side where the clip for the shoulder strap attaches was all banged up and about to come apart. I mashed Fimo into the void where the corner was suppose to be, and after drying, filed it to the desired shape, and wrapped a couple of turns of self amallgamating tape around it. It has held that way for the last 4 years.

I have a shade that I use as a compendium style shade for my Cambo monorail. I fashioned a ring that slips over the front of the usual lens, a single coated Symmar S, to help give it more contrast. I don't have the right sized adapter ring, so I made one out of Fimo, and coated it with slow setting hot melt glue on the sides to strengthen it.

I have also used a donut of it molded to fit against a 35mm camera for which I did not have a reversing ring or extension tube for, to do some macro work before I came across a bellows rig for it.

I made a stiff paper tube to fit the mount size, and taped the tube to fit flush to the lens mount. I then applied the soft Fimo donut, and pressed it around the tube and against the slr body to get a good fit. I moulded flat ridges against the body side of it to allow C clamps to hold it to the camera, and cast small hardwood blocks to fit there to distribute the clamp force better than the plaster on its own would. Once it had dried I removed the tube, sanded it to clean it up a bit, and then sprayed the inside and out flat black. The lens front was wrapped with teflon tape, and set centred on the sanded flat front of this affair. Hot glue was applied and pressed into place. The teflon was pulled clear once the glue dried. The lens was attached to this thing using a small tensor bandage. It was not pretty, but those were my uni student days, when finds were tighter than free time to fiddle with this sort of thing.

Hope these examples get your creative juices flowing towards a solution.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I like the idea of making some lens shades with Fimo, some push on types for a few ltm lenses would be nice. I'd forgotten I had made some lens caps years ago with Sculpey, etc and they held up pretty well until I replaced them with 'store bought' stuff.

I don't think I'll try extension tubes.

On reflection I believe that's too critical an application for me to attempt, I want my lens and enlarger to be perfectly squared and I don't think I can obtain the precision needed with polymer clay with the tools I have on hand. However, you have given me a few ideas to try out. I need to make a battery cover for a Leica MR meter and Fimo should be just fine for that application.

So, EXTENSION TUBES STILL WANTED.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin