Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,837   Online: 1139

Shooter
    35mm

WTB: Bolex H8 REX or H16 REX

Thinking of getting into some real film videography. After reading up I think I would like to either get into 8mm or 16mm. I would like 16mm as it is a higher quality image but the cost of the camera may keep me in 8mm.

If you have a REFLEX (only) model Bolex H8 or H16, prefer a 1960s or newer camera please shoot me a PM, also if you have any good film stock or lenses to go with it that would be cool too. I would also be interested in a carrying case they came with originally, the hard leather kind with the molded interior. Thanks

I really only want a REX type of camera, I want to be able to look through the lens when focusing vs the other type when you look through a separate VF.
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Realize that you get exactly four 8mm images in the space of a single 16mm image. So your film/processing costs will be 4x lower with the H8 Rex. A 100foot roll in the H8Rex gives about the same running time as the H16 with the huge 400foot magazine on top.

In general, getting the Rex is a good idea. I still do use my non-Rex in low light situations. The non-Rex has a slower effective shutter speed without the mirror light loss, and the non-Rex is the only one to take the f0.9 lens. Also, the auxiliary finder is much brighter than the TTL finder in low light.

A few Bolex threads if you have not seen them:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum45/6...-h8-bolex.html
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum45/5...ex-anyone.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Well just picked up a nice Bolex H8! Thanks ic-racer for the tips!
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin