Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,833   Online: 830

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got a 28mm f/2.0 AIS that needs a new home. Ideally I'd like to get around $300 for it.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrickreidsma View Post
    I've got a 28mm f/2.0 AIS that needs a new home. Ideally I'd like to get around $300 for it.
    Roderick, you should not sell that lens.

For the others, you said wide right? 20/2.8 AIS. Forget the AF stuff, get right up in there.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The 24mm f2.8 Nikkor in whatever version you purchase is one of the best Nikkors ever produced. I had one of the first and it became my normal lens for me while working as a newspaper photographer. I still use the 24mm as my 'normal' lens on Nikon's and am on my second one at this time.-Dick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Last edited by bl1nd; 07-03-2010 at 02:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    rugift's prices seem quite high... I have the voigtlander 40 slII lens. I wouldn't call it wide, but more normal. It's a superb lens in terms of construction and image quality. I bought it from B&H or amazon/adorama. I bought it instead of a nikon pancake lens because I wanted the extra stop of light. The lens is also chipped so the right focal length shows up in my dslr files when it's used with that.

I also have the 1000/8 mirror lens and paid far less than half of what they asked at rugift 4-5 years ago. It's not worth a lot. It has to be used with a teleconverter because the barrel hits the prism of most cameras. I use it occasionally for checking microwave paths for line-of-sight as sort of a telescope that lets me take photos. You need a tripod and dark cloth to use it, and it's not something most people would have a use for. A decent 300/2.8 can do almost as much detail as the mirror lens + teleconverter, despite less magnification, due to differences in optical quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AId Nikkor-O 35mm f/2.0 for 10 to 20 percent of your budget, then have fun with the rest!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 35mm AI lens is a great user and sometimes under $100.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bl1nd View Post

Purchasing a Nikon body and then using after market lenses makes no sense at all. The photographs the Nikon takes are no better then the lens used. Nikkor lenses except for the DX amature lenses are built for good optical quality as well as mechanical quality. Purchase a good Nikkor lens.-Dick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    Purchasing a Nikon body and then using after market lenses makes no sense at all. The photographs the Nikon takes are no better then the lens used. Nikkor lenses except for the DX amature lenses are built for good optical quality as well as mechanical quality. Purchase a good Nikkor lens.-Dick
    Dick,
    Have you actually used any of the lenses mentioned? It may come as a surprise to some that there are some very, very good third party lenses out there, in some cases exceeding OEM performance. For instance, Kiron (Kino optical) was started by several optical engineers that left Nikon, the previously mentioned 28 f2 Vivitar (or if you can find a Kiron version) is every bit as sharp, just as contrasty, and as resistant to flare as the Nikon lens and has CRC as well. Nikon has had it's share of dogs as well, I can list a dozen or so lenses that just are horrible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrickreidsma View Post
    Augh. If only I had $300.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin