Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,886   Online: 1197

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best of all the 3rd party wide angle leness was the Vivitar Series 1 f1.9 28mm, it out performed most of the OEM's equivalents. They rarely come up for vsale as most want to hang onto them.

There's plenty of superb 28mm & 35mm Nikon lenses S/H for a fraction of your budget.

Ian

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    Nikon has had it's share of dogs as well, I can list a dozen or so lenses that just are horrible.
    I generally agree with your reply but I'd like to hear which ones you think are dogs.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To start with, I'll concur with crazy man KR here (not a term you're likely to see from me very often, btw): http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/10-worst.htm In my experience, the 43-86 is an utter pile, unless I'm actually looking for flare, that is.

Out of 3 35 1.4's that I've had, two were horrid, far beyond unsharp in the corners, with significant coma and SA. The third was far better, but it didn't start to look even remotely sharp until around 2.8 or so. I know, it's in the same category as my 55 1.2, sometimes you have to give up something for the speed, but the variability is what really bugged me, enough to return 2 copies in a row before finding one I could live with. Sadly, sold years ago, before they commanded the crazy prices they do now.

I've had good and bad 28 f2's, one absolutely horrid at the corners, even Nikon admitted it was an issue and realigned it, but it never matched my other, beater lens that looked wretched, but took great images. The one I use now, is the Vivitar branded Kiron 28 f2 (cost me around $25 at a used camera store).

I've had a few longer lenses that were not up to third party quality, a 200 micro that would just look horrible from infinty to macro, serious SA and coma issues in the corners, though it's generally thought of as an excellent lens.

An early 300 2.8 that flared like nobodies business, oddly enough one just a few serial #'s higher that replaced it was great.

But the most egregious to me, is the 20 2.8, the f4 version is stellar, sharp as a tack, no falloff in the corners and as immune to flare as if God himself created it. The 2.8, on the other hand, only excels in the flare area, with significant fallof, sharpness doesn't come into it's own until at least f4 to 5.6, and has an odd distortion pattern, almost moustache shaped.

Lenses that I think are the best Nikon has offered for the cost include the 20 f4 (or the 3.5), any version of the 24 2.8, the Non AI 35 2.8, the lowly 50 1.8E or the f2, the much maligned 85 f2 and the 180 2.8 (pre ED). All of which sell for 1/2 or less than the faster or better known versions, all are stellar performers and can make you enjoy shooting again. (except for the taunts of you well heeled (or deeper in debt) friends who claim more expensive is automatically better...)

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a heavy user of the 20/2.8 I'm going to have to respectively disagree. Check my flickr stream if you desire (it's tagged) but I've had nothing but great images from my 20/2.8 ais (and 28/2 as well).

Perhaps we look for different things from the lenses but honestly I've never had a problem with any nikkor glass. I do agree though that there probably are some dogs out there but the 20 ain't one of them.

Examples:

I'm certain this one was shot wide-open:

I don't expect any lens to be incredibly sharp wide-open, but it's sharp enough if one needs it. Problem with your 20, perhaps? :-)
    Last edited by clayne; 07-04-2010 at 07:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You first need to decide how wide you want to go. I prefer a 24 but a 28 is a good starting point, wide enough to make a big difference but long enough that it doesn't have weird perspective. Some find a 24 to be too wide; I am certainly not one of those people. Similarly, a 35mm, while "wide" technically, is not that wide. Some call it a wide normal and that fits with my way of viewing it.

With an AF Nikon, I'd probably get the AF 28/2.8D as a starting point (it's terrific - second only to the AI-S 28/2.8 among Nikkors - and oodles better than its predecessor non-D brother). Another option is to get one of the inexpensive 28-70 or 28-85 zooms, which are slower but far more flexible. They have more distortion but not so much that you'll hate them, I expect.

I picked up a 24-120 recently from a fellow APUGger for under $100 - really high distortion but a terrific walking-around lens. It wouldn't replace a 24 or 28 prime for me, but I'm glad I got it.

For the record, I own the 17-35/2.8D, 28/2.8 AI, 24/2.8 AI, 24-85/3.5-4.5 AF-S, 24-120/3.5-5.6D, and 35-80/4-5.6D (1st version), so I like my wides. Oh, and a 16/2.8 AI-S fisheye
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    As a heavy user of the 20/2.8 I'm going to have to respectively disagree. Check my flickr stream if you desire (it's tagged) but I've had nothing but great images from my 20/2.8 ais (and 28/2 as well).

Perhaps we look for different things from the lenses but honestly I've never had a problem with any nikkor glass. I do agree though that there probably are some dogs out there but the 20 ain't one of them.

Examples:[...]

I don't expect any lens to be incredibly sharp wide-open, but it's sharp enough if one needs it. Problem with your 20, perhaps? :-)
    I own the 20/2.8 and I agree. It's a superb lens.

There have been a ton of suggestions on this page. I think it's up to the OP to determine the focal length he needs and then choose an AF or AI lens with the proper aperture within his budget. I don't think you could go wrong with any single one of the suggestions, provided you first determine it's the proper lens for your use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The best of all the 3rd party wide angle leness was the Vivitar Series 1 f1.9 28mm, it out performed most of the OEM's equivalents. They rarely come up for vsale as most want to hang onto them.
    I have always heard the same about this lens, but I tried to sell my M42 Series 1 28mm f/1.9 here on A.P.U.G. and got no interest whatsoever. Go figure. I guess I will just hold onto it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you cannot make up your mind, I enjoy a Nikon f/2.8 20 mm to 35 mm AF Nikkor zoom lens on my two Nikons. Check out Samys and KEH for prices on all of the suggestions that have been given. Depending on the grade you are looking for, you will find something. G. A. S.* always finds a way!

Steve

G. A. S. = Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey guys- a question: Which 20mm f/2.8 are you talking about? The AF-D or the AI-S?
    I'm at a deciding point between the Tamron 19-35mm F3.5-4.5 AF, or Nikons 24mm f/2.8D AF/ 20mm f/2.8 .
    (As long as I can hunt them down, found the 24mm and the Tamron on eBay)
    Last edited by bl1nd; 07-05-2010 at 01:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bl1nd View Post
    Hey guys- a question: Which 20mm f/2.8 are you talking about? The AF-D or the AI-S?
    I'm at a deciding point between the Tamron 19-35mm F3.5-4.5 AF, or Nikons 24mm f/2.8D AF/ 20mm f/2.8 .
    (As long as I can hunt them down, found the 24mm and the Tamron on eBay)
    The AI-S. The AF-D, apparently, is not quite as good (and also less expensive - right around your budget actually), but as far as I am aware the optics are the same design.

If worse comes to worst, KEH.com will almost always have what you are looking for.

If I were you, I would get the Nikkor AF-D 24mm f/2.8. It's $265 for EX condition on KEH, lightweight, will autofocus with your F5, and 24mm tends to offend fewer people than 20mm, so it's likely that you will like it as well. But of course it's your choice.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin