Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,816   Online: 1169

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Low-Priced Wide-Angle lens for my Nikon F5?

I'm interested in finding a wide-angle lens that's hopefully under $300 USD that is compatible with my F5. The 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens that Nikon offers has steep falloff, which I don't want. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You have a huge number of options for under $300. The 28mm 2.8 seems to be relatively popular. If you can almost buy two of the manual focus ones with your budget.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out lenses, and I'd love to hear any testimonials on ones suggested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    35mm f/1.8 DX has a steep fall off because it is designed for Nikon's line of CROP SENSOR DIGITAL cameras. 35mm film require non DX lenses. You'll definately need to avoid all DX type. (some will work but not optimally)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    35mm f/1.8 DX has a steep fall off because it is designed for Nikon's line of CROP SENSOR DIGITAL cameras. 35mm film require non DX lenses. You'll definately need to avoid all DX type. (some will work but not optimally)
    Haha, I know about that at the very least.

I'm considering the 24mm f/2.8 AF-D, it seems the most reasonable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a 28mm f2.8 AF (second version) that has been sitting in my bag with no use since I bought my 17-35 f2.8. Yours for $130 if you want it.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 35/2.8 AI is the best wide angle Nikon I have used. In fact, it may perhaps be the best wide angle lens I have used, period.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you can find a Kiron made Vivitar 28 f2 (ser # 22XXXXXX), many consider it to easily be the equal of the Nikon, and has CRC and a closer focusing distance as well. It's been a while, but as I remember they typically sell for around $100 to $150 at most (it'd have to be really clean and unused to get that high)

Shooter
    35mm
    Depends on the use but 24mm could be too wide on most of the street shooting. Gallen Rowell loves his 24mm f2.8 but I find my 24mm copy is less sharp than 35mm f2.0. Probably it's a not so good copy but since I mostly do landscape I still use it a lot.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 24mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/2.0 AF-Nikkors are both good lenses. I've never used the 28mm f/2.8 AF-Nikkor, but I once had a Sigma 28mm f/1.8 AF lens that I liked (it was the older version with 58mm threads, not the huge new one). You should be able to find used examples of any of these lenses priced within your budget.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin