Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,483   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jon,

You use a piece of extra film taped to what you are working with to punch. It is taped to the neg and a piece taped to the mask (if you are masking). Do your exposure and process the mask. Some people use litho film for the mask. Re-register and away you go. Look at Lynn Radicaks (sp?) site for more info.

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 1/4" standoffs from an electronics store for my pins. Use a standard hole punch. A piece of extra film taped to the negative and oversized litho film for the mask.

Shooter
    35mm
    A piece of extra film taped to the negative and oversized litho film for the mask.
    Are you saying the "extra film taped to the negative" is the part that is actually punched, to save the original negative from having to be punched?

What kind of tape, and taping pattern do you use?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, what type of tape? Painter's tape? Need something as non-residual-leaving as possible...

And by the way, I actually am going to punch into the film-image area. Reason being, is that I'm attaching a tri-color mask (like Dufaycolor, autochrome) onto another sheet of b&w film, and this sandwich has to fit in an ordinary 4x5" film holder. You can see my thread about it over in the alt-forum....

So for the time being at least, unless anyone can suggest something more elegant, I'm going to punch the film, tape it around the edges, put it in a film holder and then reassemble later with pins.

But yeah, what type of tape is recommended?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get Mylar tape from an art store, its super thin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just use regular scotch magic tape. The film piece becomes a permanent part of the stored negative. I'll add that I use a home built carrier/mask printer for my old Elwood so I don't need to remove the film piece for printing. Also I'm at the age that I realize that my negatives will just be tossed when I pass on so working to find the exact tape isn't that important. This may not be the case if your work has a real market value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, for my application I need to be able to remove it so I can process the black&white film seperate from the mask/screen. And no, my work has no real market value (yet!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin