Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,464   Online: 917

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB - Pin Registration for 4x5"

Howdy,

So i'm just going to test the waters and see what I get. Usually this type of equipment fetches a pretty penny, and I can't really afford to spend much. But if you've got something that needs some work or that you're looking to get rid of, I'm your guy!

I'm looking to pin register 4x5" sheet film together, that's my only requirement really.

If I don't find anything here, I'm gonna use an office hole punch, so please... save me from such a pathetic alternative.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Holmburgers,

For years a good friend, used a 2 hole office punch and it worked very well. We he was doing a workshop and showing how to do masking, all was fine. One student in back of the class grumbling about something. When Al got back home a shoe box size package was waiting at the studio door. Inside the box where three custom made punches 35mm, 2 1/4 and 4x5. Some of the finest machine work any one has ever seen. Carl was a master craftsman. When I told al I was going to do some masking, we just talked about it. When I got home one of the of punches was packed into the car, a great gift.

So start off easy and see what happens.

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds good Jan, thanks. If I dont' find something for a *super* reasonable price, I do believe that the 2-hole punch will be the way to go.

What about having loose pins though?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    When I started, I simply scratched an x on opposite corners of the film, when I made the exposure and developed, I would line up the x's on the light table and taped the corners. It works great.

Just another fyi.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Holmburgers,

The big thing is to make sure the the pins and the punch are the same size hole. The pins are the alignment part. Punches are generally a standard size. The fun part is finding all the parts. Find a place that does silk screen printing they may sell you some pins then go off and look for the press. All of this stuff was very common to find then came the computer. The old way are still around it is just harder to fine the stuff and the people to teach it.

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But since I'd be using an office punch, would those pins be standard pin-registration sizes? I guess I could just buy two office punches and cannibalize one of them.

Without appearing to be disrespectful, would you consider purchasing a perfectly aligned and registered punch system from Alistair Inglis or Lynn Radeka? Both have excellent reputations for quality and service. I did note your concerns about price, and certainly one would expect that either of the purchased systems would cost more than the solution you are considering. Nevertheless, if one factors in time, materials, and the risk that you might waste costly film ( and the time spent photographing ), in the long run a punch system from either of the above might end up costing about the same. Simply a suggestion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I appreciate your suggestion, not disrespectful in the least. I got a scoop on a $200 Condit 4x5/5x7 register, but that's just too much for me. I'm ok with a "ghetto" approach for the time being.

Interestingly, the famous "masking kit" that seems to be pretty prolific on the web appears to include a pretty basic office type punch. So if it's good enough for them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow... http://cgi.ebay.com/Printing-Chesley...item3a5b707652

This is an incredible deal, but it's too damn big..... or is it..... (yes, probably too big)

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Wouldn't an office punch have too big of holes that would impinge on the image area of 4x5?

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin